HOT hot weather..

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
The redstarts are frantic for the waterfall, and today a female tried to land on me! I think it was as startled as I was to find out where it was.. got about five inches from my face before it realized its mistake!

I love this time of the summer when the cicadas and my green frog are singing together late into the night. It's very warm, but it reminds me of my childhood. I sleep with the windows open just so I can hear them. Very soothing!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I too had to look up what a Redstart was and is a cute little thing. Guess they really like to sing. Went fishing today at the lake and Blackbirds were singing, Chickadee's doing their little song, frogs were jumping and the sun was high in the sky...............not that warm here but will be heading into the 80's soon. Windows open here too :razz:

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Oh wow, girl! The 80s?? We've been in the upper 90s for it seems like forever! Yeah.. redstarts are very cute.. they fan their tails constantly, and flit around. They visit us regularly. The males have bright orange flashes on their tails and wings, and the females have yellow. Very small, but quite feisty, like chickadees are.. flit here and there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do you have those tiny little Kinglet birds there, they are so tiny and friendly. We have this kind here called the Golden-crowned Kinglet:

GCKI_ad_gth.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
HoT Hot Hot, Heat index here today. 110 Even the crows just sat in the trees and laughed at us in the field working all day!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have heard of the redstart & kinglets, but have never seen either one (that I know of). Supposedly both have a range that includes my area. From the pictures & descriptions, they kinda remind me of wrens -- one of my favorites!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been watching the yellow finches eat algae out of the stream, never thought they would do that. They pull it up and eat it like spaghetti.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My finch are spoiled as I buy finch thistle and keep the bird bath near .I have never seen them go near my pond .Guess they like greens addy .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My finch are spoiled as I buy finch thistle and keep the bird bath near .I have never seen them go near my pond .Guess they like greens addy .

They get three bird feeders, thistle, finch seed and other bird seed (mainly sun flowers) three fields planted with bird friendly flowers, a bog to bath in and drink from. They also drink and eat from the deck pond and the stream. This is the first time I have ever seen a bird pull algae from the stream and eat it, not just carry to a nest, but eat.
Also 40 plus bird houses to live in, most finch and blue bird sized.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When we first moved here to this property I would see one little Kinglet that would come to our porch.......before we had a pond. He'd come so close to me I thought that he might land on my head. Now I only see them out walking when near wooded areas hanging on the fir trees. They are so fun to watch!
Neat addy, we need more of those algae eating finches at some of our ponds :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe they just found out it was there and the word is spreading addy .You may wake up and find lots of them feasting on it .The reason they like nest's are because they get more air flow .I use a spade bit and put holes in the sides of the birdhouses and even sometimes put window screening before i put the houses together .Keeps the bee's out .

Ask a Question