How are you dealing with Covid-19 (Novel Coronavirus) ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If anyone is trying to get gloves, masks, etc from Amazon I have had good luck getting short shipping times by going to last several pages. 1st pages are either out of stock, crazy prices or shipping delays. Got gloves delivered in 3 days, no shipping charges.
yea I order back in Feb ill never see them. had my own nitrile gloves and made a face shield with a hard hat and some existing glasses quick and easy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith my husband is 60 years old and has a chronic illness that puts him square on that list as well, so we are being extremely careful ourselves. But we are ALWAYS extremely careful during flu season, because that can be just as deadly for someone like him. Lots of hand washing, avoiding crowds, doing what we can to boost immunity. We live differently because of him, but we don't expect the whole world to do the same. This is the first time in history that we have asked healthy people to quarantine themselves... time will tell if it was the right approach.

And I do appreciate that social distancing appears to be working as they had hoped - the good news. I get the whole "flatten the curve" concept and not overloading the medical system. But I could argue that even that could be limited to areas with high population density. Nowhere, Nebraska being shut down makes zero sense. And explain California... there are so many things that we need lots more data on before we know where we go from here. What's the exit strategy for example? How do we get people back to work without enraging that part of the population that will now FOREVER believe the only path to survival is everyone staying in their house? Rahm Emmanuel's brother was on the news saying we need to continue this for AT LEAST 18 months. I can guarantee you THAT won't fly.

Where you and I differ is that I won't willingly sacrifice my rights... not even to save my own life. That's not a slope I'm willing to slide down. Where does it end? Now you can't buy liquor in the city after 9PM. Next you won't be able to buy it at all. Once we've demonstrated our willingness to accept the "parent state", there is no line some people won't cross. Without our freedoms we aren't even America anymore... which would make some people very happy. I know we are keeping politics out of this thread, but there is lots of evidence that the politicians aren't keeping politics out of the corona virus.

Congratulations on your newest grandchild! Ours was born on March 20 - number six for us!
Hi Lisa. Re Nebraska not needing to be shut down...The governor of Nebraska said this yesterday so he is very much aware how important it is for Nebraska to follow the guidelines we are also following.

Ricketts says simple actions, like wearing masks in public, and limiting shopping to once a week, are some of the best weapons against the virus. It includes following already-established rules -- like staying at home, social distancing, shopping alone, and helping older residents.

Lisa we can't have New York City, Chicago, and Detroit past the peak on the way down and ready to resume commerce, and have other states still on their way up the curve otherwise it will be June or July and it still won't be safe to travel to certain parts of the country. That will make no sense and we will just get further outbreaks of the disease. Re your comment about staying at home forever..I'm not aware of a single person that thinks the only path to survival is to forever stay in our homes. I watch a lot of news and have not heard that at anytime.

There will be exit strategies... The scientists are saying that when we have a lot more testing and contact tracing then we can open things up once the cases go down. In the UK they are already considering allowing healthy 20-30 year old that don't live at home to travel freely soon. Over time there will be therapeutics to help people and also life saving ventilators will be readily available because not everyone will need them at once. Also we need a lot more ppe to protect our health professionals as it is not fair for them to be working in unsafe conditions without the essentials they need. When there are vaccines then we can go back to large gatherings, sporting events, and concerts. I suppose that is what he may have been referring to. We won't be back to normal for over a year, but not everything will be put on hold until then. If that is what the experts thought you would not have seen the stock market recover so fast. That tells you a lot.

Congratulations on your newest grandchild! Ours was born on March 20 - number six for us!
Thank you! We are at 2 and expecting one more this summer!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Now they are talking about closing the border between VA and NC .All the beach's are closed in NC and they are saying you could get a ticket for up to 650 dollars if caught on the beach .Can all this be really true .scary thought

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Now they are talking about closing the border between VA and NC .All the beach's are closed in NC and they are saying you could get a ticket for up to 650 dollars if caught on the beach .Can all this be really true .scary thought
Most of the beaches are closed to public access, but the rumor about the NC - VA border being closed is not true.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is a big debate about how to handle the farmers markets here. Our product will not go bad, the farmers products will. They are talking of having people pre-order pre-pay then have the product bagged with a name on it. That they pick up. But knowing people I can see a lot of walk ins.

I have been talking to our two market managers, at this time we have not backed totally out. But we have told them unless there is a huge change we probably will. Making money is not worth our lives. We will be fine without the income, our honey will be fine next year. We see a lot of people handle a lot of money, to us way to much exposure. The word here is that our peak will be early, mid June. The markets start the beginning of June.

Our numbers are climbing daily.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are talking about having farmers markets as drive thru. Pretty sure that will be a disaster, people want to walk around and see whats available. Not sure how this is for the Amish communities.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are talking about having farmers markets as drive thru. Pretty sure that will be a disaster, people want to walk around and see whats available. Not sure how this is for the Amish communities.
They want to walk around and touch, squeeze, smell. Very hands on. Even our honey bottles get picked up put down.
If we do something, our bottles will be put out with water in them, for size, the bottles with honey won't be reachable until paid for. But again so much exposure for us.

My best guess is we will back out. My Missy would miss us if something happened! Can't allow that! There is always next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think that if anything demonstrates "white privilege" it's the idea of social distancing. We get these images of families cozily nestled in their homes playing games and doing remote school. That's hardly the case in the hardest hit areas of the country. One 7 mile square area of NYC has over 7000 diagnosed cases. People there live 10 or 12 or 15 to an apartment. They can barely get six inches from each other, let alone 6 feet. It's clear why the transmission rate is so tremendously high. But there's no evidence that would be the case in a less densely populated area where sick people have the ability to isolate.

Now we're releasing prisoners from the county jails. Where do we think they're gonna go? Home to work jigsaw puzzles? At the same time, a family friend has been trying to get her parents out of a nursing home - she is willing to take them home and care for them until things settle down. No go. They are the prisoners now. And there are zero cases of COVID in that home - at least so far.

Masks are of limited benefit for the wearer. The benefit is to others if you are sick and not aware. On the downside, they give people a false sense of security AND increase the number of times people touch their own face, adjusting the mask, exponentially.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
there are 2 beachs in NC that are closed ,they just had it on the news and they may close more if people do not listen .The governor of NC said it will be up to each beach area and if he needs to step in he will .The NC border to VA is not said yet but the post office got a email to each employee in case they close it and several nurses at Sovah hospital in Danville that live in NC were told they would be given a sticker for in the window if it does close .My sister called me on her lunch after the meeting at the hospital today .I guess they want to make sure if it does happen they are prepared .The Reidsville star news was the first one who had it on this morning on TV

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The reason my sister is concerned is because to get to the hospital she has to drive into NC to take Berry hill road which is in NC and VA .Otherwise she has to go the back way which is 20 minutes more and having to cross a risky bridge that floods when it rains and is also falling apart .I know that bridge because when I go over to her house I have to cross it and stop at it and try to hope i make it over it .It is just a one lane bridge that is falling apart so bad that they have warning cones there .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think that if anything demonstrates "white privilege" it's the idea of social distancing. We get these images of families cozily nestled in their homes playing games and doing remote school. That's hardly the case in the hardest hit areas of the country. One 7 mile square area of NYC has over 7000 diagnosed cases. People there live 10 or 12 or 15 to an apartment. They can barely get six inches from each other, let alone 6 feet. It's clear why the transmission rate is so tremendously high. But there's no evidence that would be the case in a less densely populated area where sick people have the ability to isolate.

Now we're releasing prisoners from the county jails. Where do we think they're gonna go? Home to work jigsaw puzzles? At the same time, a family friend has been trying to get her parents out of a nursing home - she is willing to take them home and care for them until things settle down. No go. They are the prisoners now. And there are zero cases of COVID in that home - at least so far.

Masks are of limited benefit for the wearer. The benefit is to others if you are sick and not aware. On the downside, they give people a false sense of security AND increase the number of times people touch their own face, adjusting the mask, exponentially.
I see people wearing masks in stores with their noses uncovered!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
see,s like more than ever more NC people are coming to VA ,gas there 1'89 a gallon ,gas here 1.32 a gallon and got gas for mowers before and it was 1.27 and 6 cars there all from NC .I stopped at aldis and every car in parking lot were from NC ,I looked at 15 cars and all NC plates

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I went to CVS this afternoon to pick up some prescriptions. Mom drove along ( to get out of the house ) but waited in the car. I wore a mask, wiped the cart and had hand sanitizer in my pocket.

At the pharmacy they had a wide table against the counter, creating even more distance between customers and pharmacy employees. They had the credit card reader set up on the table, so there wasn't ayn human contact during payment transactions.

I told one of the employees my Mom was in the car and I was picking up a few things for her and wasn't sure I'd picked out the correct things. She laughed and told me to go ahead and take things out to the car for her approval before purchasing them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There is a big debate about how to handle the farmers markets here. Our product will not go bad, the farmers products will. They are talking of having people pre-order pre-pay then have the product bagged with a name on it. That they pick up. But knowing people I can see a lot of walk ins.

I have been talking to our two market managers, at this time we have not backed totally out. But we have told them unless there is a huge change we probably will. Making money is not worth our lives. We will be fine without the income, our honey will be fine next year. We see a lot of people handle a lot of money, to us way to much exposure. The word here is that our peak will be early, mid June. The markets start the beginning of June.

Our numbers are climbing daily.
Hi Addy. It’s really a paradigm shift and you have to rethink how business is going to be done now and in the future. Do you have a database of past customers? That would be a great place to start. You can send me a few bottles. I love your honey! A lot of people are going on line. Would that be possible for your sales? As a general contractor I have decided to only work on vacant buildings that we gut and remodel. I have plenty of those type of projects to keep us busy and I know we can space out our employees and sub contractors out so they can work in a safe environment. I have a few customers that wanted us to work in either high rise buildings or office buildings and I let them know we would not be taking those sort of jobs for a while because there are too many people around. I’m not going to let one of our guys get sick because I was afraid of losing a job or two.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Check with your CVS. Our local CVS delivered our prescriptions for free. They came the next day using USPS.

I went to CVS this afternoon to pick up some prescriptions. Mom drove along ( to get out of the house ) but waited in the car. I wore a mask, wiped the cart and had hand sanitizer in my pocket.

At the pharmacy they had a wide table against the counter, creating even more distance between customers and pharmacy employees. They had the credit card reader set up on the table, so there wasn't ayn human contact during payment transactions.

I told one of the employees my Mom was in the car and I was picking up a few things for her and wasn't sure I'd picked out the correct things. She laughed and told me to go ahead and take things out to the car for her approval before purchasing them :)

Ask a Question