How can we improve GPF?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Too many threads are started that are too general or dont give enough detail for us to help.

I dont know if this is fesible...
Maybe when people register they can fill out a form that will describe their pond/project in detail.
A list that is simple to fill out.

Example:
How much water does it hold___________
Your climate or zone ____________
What type and size fish, if any ___________
What filter, if any _____________
Etc.......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have them fill in the blanks is the best idea more so then they just ramble about the pond. That way we can even down the road include the best answers. Then again that might remove most posts. This sight is barely alive as is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Too many threads are started that are too general or dont give enough detail for us to help.

I dont know if this is fesible...
Maybe when people register they can fill out a form that will describe their pond/project in detail.
A list that is simple to fill out.

Example:
How much water does it hold___________
Your climate or zone ____________
What type and size fish, if any ___________
What filter, if any _____________
Etc.......
I think you're going to find most people, especially the newbies, don't approach the question as we would, but that's more because that's how humans go about it--the first time. And it's this interaction that creates more than just an answer/solution, it creates relationships that go a long way toward the listening process. Sure, it would be nice if every newbie came in armed with a lot of the data we generally want/need, but I know I tend to gloss over long, info-dump posts and try to just get to the end and the question. Then, sometimes, if I need to, I'll go back and read for vital info. I think it's more valuable that those that answer draw the poster in and there's give and take; I know it helps me assess if the poster (newbie) is ernest in their desire to learn/fix or if it's just someone that hasn't even given a second of effort to search on their own. It goes a long way toward actually seeing posters take action to help their situation.

But that's just me and I've both run and belong to more than a few forums; people can be funny and not always in a good way. As noted in another thread, the core is what makes or breaks the forum experience, at least for me. I have to trust those talking to me and understand their motives so I can wrap my brain around their ideas/suggestions. I like to keep my options open, both as poster and postee, when I'm asking others anything.

So in summary, I think simple, non-verbose posts are fine to start--what comes next re follow-through and commitment is more important to me as to whether I'll continue the conversation. No one likes to think they're talking into a vacuum.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I brought this up years ago, and I think there ended up being a pinned thingy on a couple of the topics…..but yes, newbies would have to know to read that before posting. I have noticed that some boards (not necessarily pond groups) have it set up (how, I don’t know) where your query is directed to a page that lists the specifics of what you need to post….or all members will “automatically“ direct any newbie queries to answer those questions. The problems I see with this type set-up is that you would have to have the board moderated to where every post was scrutinized, or every member who answers a question would have to start out with the standard questions……without answering what they think might be the problem. That seemed to work…..for a little while….. A few of us already do that (ask questions), but it would need to be consistently done: IOW, don’t answer a question without asking questions. Problem is, it seems that even when we ask ”the questions,” we still don’t get the answers we need, or we get incomplete or inconclusive information. IDK what the answer is. I just continue to ask the questions…..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You know, most of the suggestions here (including mine) have been technical, but I think what GPF really needs is more membership growth. I know it's normal for most members to lurk or ask a couple questions and then move on with life, but anything we can do to grow and retain more passionate members is what I think is going to make the biggest difference.

That's more of an ongoing, active marketing thing than a site feature, though.

I think Koiphen is huge compared to GPF, but GPF is a more approachable and welcoming place. People ought to know we're here and have a community that can help them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
People ought to know we're here and have a community that can help them.
that's why the powers-that-be here promoted you to video promotion manager. You have to EARN that money, CW!! Do something cute with Barney and a GPF sign or something...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Someone want to sponsor having Barney wrapped in GPF graphics? haha

I actually went through all my YT videos and added links to GPF this weekend.

Ask a Question