How did you cook your turkey, if you had one!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by addy1, Nov 23, 2017.

1. addy1

Lisak1

I can't answer for @Jimmy Gibson , but I've seen a special attachment that's made for this purpose. It reminded me of a hook and tackle assembly. I'm also guessing these turkey fryers come with a special set up to make lowering and raising the turkey safe.

Lisak1, Nov 26, 2017
    j.w likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. addy1

Gemma

My husband tried that deep frying pot one year, our had a tray with hole on the bottom and a long thing in the middle that held the bird straight up and was shaped like a hook at the top to lift/ lower the bird
    That was by far the unhealthiest, and messiest way to cook a turkey I have ever seen, not to mention the amount of oil that it took ....I'm glad hubby tried it and agreed it wasn't for us

Gemma, Nov 26, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. addy1

Jimmy Gibson

Gemma the pictures that I posted on here was from the week before Thanksgiving, Trial run..... We cooked two turkeys and one chicken......I then filtered the oil and put back in the containers....Thanksgiving morning I was heating up the oil at 5:00 am heating the oil up, the guys I work with found out I was frying turkeys and between six o'clock and noon we had fryed 7 turkeys and 2 chickens...... The thing about frying turkey is the oil is so hot that it seals the outside so it keeps all the moisture of the turkey inside.... It was a fun time lots of coffee in the early hours.... Then closer to noon some other beverages came out, but I agree with you one turkey is a complete waste of money..... 9 turkeys and 3 chickens on 4 gallons of peanut oil not bad

Jimmy Gibson, Nov 26, 2017
    Gemma, j.w and addy1 like this.
  4. addy1

Jimmy Gibson

Also bought a turkey frame goes in from the bottom and has a hook on the top, easy......

Jimmy Gibson, Nov 26, 2017
    Gemma, j.w and addy1 like this.
  5. addy1

teeemkay

I always cook mine in an electric roasting pan. 15 minutes per pound, unstuffed, and usually that time is reduced about 20-30 minutes as long as I keep the lid closed. The skin doesn't get browned, but since I carve it before I serve it at the table, nobody really cares.

teeemkay, Nov 29, 2017
  6. addy1

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

We don't eat the skin, so it can be whatever color. But smoking it gives it a nice brown tint.

addy1, Nov 29, 2017
  7. addy1

Angel

Agree smoked 2 turkeys last bbq. You think roughly 70lbs or more would be enough with 60lbs of smoked brisket be enough for 40-50 people.. nope

Angel, Nov 29, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  8. addy1

j.w I Love my Goldies

The skin and the wings are my favorite parts!

j.w, Nov 29, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question