How do Bluegills fare with Mollies

Reaction score
I'm currently thinking about getting bluegills in the summer and Mollies later on this week for my 300 gallon pond. My question is are Mollies and Bluegills able to coexsist. I have also read on other sites that Mollies will breed like flies.

Reaction score
My husband put some bluegill in our pond and the water turned green within 3 days because it could not handle them. Then they all turned white and died... after they ate all of my smaller goldfish.

Reaction score
leeannecastro said:
My husband put some bluegill in our pond and the water turned green within 3 days because it could not handle them. Then they all turned white and died... after they ate all of my smaller goldfish.

How big is your pond and what was the temperature?

Reaction score
My upper pond is about 750 gallons and the lower pond is 1200 gallons. Most of them (10-12) were in the upper pond and 3 or 4 were in the lower pond. This was in July in Colorado so the water was probably in the 70's or 80's.
There was also a small bass in there and he thought it was great fun to chase my little guys.

Reaction score
leeannecastro said:
My upper pond is about 750 gallons and the lower pond is 1200 gallons. Most of them (10-12) were in the upper pond and 3 or 4 were in the lower pond. This was in July in Colorado so the water was probably in the 70's or 80's.
There was also a small bass in there and he thought it was great fun to chase my little guys.

Colorado eh. Well it can get cold there then that explains the sudden death of your fish. I live in California and the coldest that its ever been was 48 F.

Ask a Question