How do you?

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Tell what your fry are? I have koi and all sorts of goldfish,shubunks, fancy goldfish and plain ol' 10 cent feeders in my pond, and somebody did some spawning. I just noticed a bunch of little fry swimming around this weekend. How long will it be before I can identify what they are? and what really distinguishes them?

I'll probably have o get rid of most of them, My pond will be overstocked with all of those fish, especially if I end up with a bunch of koi. So I'd kind of like to let people know what Im giving away, will i have to wait until they get to be a couple of inches before I can really tell?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pretty much going to have to wait until they are about 3/4" - 1" long to really tell. If you were experienced with raising one of the kinds of fry you might could tell from coloration earlier but if not your probably going to have to wait until they start developing the whiskers on the face. What can make things even more complicated is you COULD have hybrids of the two. It's possible. My bet though, they are probably the goldfish. Koi should be about done for the most part for the year outdoors. Most Koi usually breed between May, and early July, Gold fish will breed anytime during the season when the water is over 70 degrees. Also to let it be known, Both are cannibalistic when young, The most aggressive fry are called Tobies, Tobies will eat the smaller developing fry for faster growth. So where you start off with several thousand you may only end up with a handful if you leave them in the pond, natures way of balance and checks. Good luck! no matter what they are they are always neat to watch grow and see what you end up with.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just letting nature take its course, but if its anything like my grandparents pond, they always end up with quite a few babies, and are giving them away once they get to be a couple inches. I really hope they are just goldies, seeing as how I found out I had fry while I was dumping my 2 new koi into the pond, I just spent hard earned money on koi, I dont want to find out that I already had some, lol.

Of course... I do have a tank inside the house with an oscar and green terror that would probably love a nice big meal if i end up with too many tiny goldies :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
How big are your Oscar and Green Terror? I have one of each too. My oscar is white, solid white with black eyes. I found it in a tank full of feeder goldfish, he's only about 4" long. My green terror is a large male close to 10" I have had him for probably 7-8 years maybe even a little longer. Also have two synodontis cats, a large redtail shark, Two large red hook silver dollars, and a bushy nose pleco.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
They are still pretty small, I just got my tank up and running this spring, both around 3 1/2 inches right now, they arent quite ready for goldfish yet.

Kinda funny story, this aquarium has been passed from my grandparents, to my parents, to me, then to my sister. This spring, she was sick of moving it around every time she moved, so I got it back again. This time for good, as I have bought my home and dont plan on moving anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swanstud

Latest Threads