How long water should cycle before fish?

Reaction score
I am curious how you dealer determines what they are giving you is bacteria and not just fish poop. Bacteria colonize on filter media, rocks, liner etc. By simply giving you some dirty water from an established pond is not actually giving you much of a bacteria starter culture if any. If going that route you would need to get a filter material that is already established that you could move to your pond right away and could continue to circulate water through the filter material.
What they did was open the filter and pushed out bacteria it wasn't fish poop. Moment I placed in the water they started to circulate all over my liner.

Reaction score
So I was wondering if I could stick my filter materials from my 2 indoor tanks in my pond to add live bacteria? I have 2 fluval filters per tank that have the sponges and ceramics in them. I thought of taking 1 from each tank while leaving the 2nd in the tank. Do I just put it in the water and let it spread out and do its thing? Or should I put it in my bio falls box?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What they did was open the filter and pushed out bacteria it wasn't fish poop. Moment I placed in the water they started to circulate all over my liner.
Did they give you media? The bacteria colonizes the surface of the media. If you scrape them off, it's likely they will just be floating around in the water and die.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
So I was wondering if I could stick my filter materials from my 2 indoor tanks in my pond to add live bacteria? I have 2 fluval filters per tank that have the sponges and ceramics in them. I thought of taking 1 from each tank while leaving the 2nd in the tank. Do I just put it in the water and let it spread out and do its thing? Or should I put it in my bio falls box?
I've done that between indoor tanks because the temperatures are the same. Assuming the tank temperature is much higher than pond temperature, I wonder how the bacteria deals with that.

Reaction score
Did they give you media? The bacteria colonizes the surface of the media. If you scrape them off, it's likely they will just be floating around in the water and die.
They did and then put oxygen and tide it up and said I have about an hour.

Reaction score
How much media did they give you?
A bag full. Actually I got some the day after my pond was first deck de chlorinated ( HUGE bag ) of bacteria. I got some today it wasn't a lot but still a good amount. My older pond is well established with a nice amount of bacteria in the filter.. Just to worried if I dump it all in it won't help.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As John stated, if temperatures are somewhat close, Within 10 degrees, I would say most certainly yes. I would put them in the skimmer if you have one. that way they start forming directly in the filter fall box. All you need to use is one filter pad, your only trying to get a starter culture going. No matter how mch additional bacteria is added it will still have to form the culture on all the surfaces in the pond before the bacteria will start doing much as far as removing and breaking down ammonia and nitrites.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Oh no media.. They just shook and scrub the bacteria off into a bag and aired it..
Calvin, I doubt that is going to do much good. What is loose and free floating is waste that hasn't broken down fully yet. Live fish would be better than Gunk in a bag. Really you need to add a filter media that has bacteria on it to really do anything. A bag of dirty pond water is exactly that, a bag of dirty water. Very little benefit to starting a good culture.

Reaction score
Calvin, I doubt that is going to do much good. What is loose and free floating is waste that hasn't broken down fully yet. Live fish would be better than Gunk in a bag. Really you need to add a filter media that has bacteria on it to really do anything. A bag of dirty pond water is exactly that, a bag of dirty water. Very little benefit to starting a good culture.
Past 2-3 days my water ammonia and nitrate has been 0. Koi been living in there with no sign of stress or problem.

Ask a Question