Fish at top of water along the sides only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just bought 4 new fish from a local seller that I always buy my fish from. All but one made a clear transition from seller to bag to pond. One seems to just be swimming at the top and every now and then sticking its mouth out of the water. I never had a fish do this before could it be its just getting acclimated to the new water conditions? It seemed fine in the holding tank when we bought it. All my other fish are doing fine. Water conditions are fine also. thanks for any assistance

Reaction score
ammonia 0 / ph 7.0-7.5 it almost seems lifeless i videod it on my cell if I can figure out a way to post it on here I will

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wonder if it could be a female and the males are chasing it for spawning and it's worn out or it could be it's in shock from the trip home in the bag, dunno :cool:

Reaction score
hope its shock I don't think it would sit at the top like that if it were a female. hope its not a disease but think it would have shown the same symptoms in the sellers tank.

Reaction score
both fish get chased by the others, is it possible that they are either females or both sick? Neither shows any signs of sickness that I have read online.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Does your pond have hiding places? i have seen on several occassions where i introduced a new fish from my quarenteen tank and the water would be very close to the same yet once moved thy became very shy at first. Shock is a possibility, but some fish take shock differently than others. try placing something over the corner where they seem to be hanging to see if darkness may settle them down.

Reaction score
the one koi that was sitting at the top seems to be doing ok now I was just observing it swimming with the others, but my damn butterfly is still swimming into the skimmer I hate to lose it never saw one with this color pattern. Might move it into a temp tank in my garage just to see if I can get it to eat and maybe show some signs of illness that I could cure. I thought of the light factor thats why it swims into the skimmer but not much I can do with the sun, haha.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A piece of plywood over a corner, a clay flower put with piece removed where they swim in and out of, I have a piece of 8" black drainage pipe about 3' long under my bridge to hide it. just a place they can feel secure. probably why it keeps going to the skimmer box, dark inside? try leaving it uncovered and see if it continues trying to go inside. I had a fish that used to sleep in the skimmer. Unfortunately the old Heron finally got him.

Reaction score
I figured being in the skimmer would eventually kill it I have it in a tank now see if I can break its phobia thanks for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question