How much difference does your aeration make?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A few questions for all who utilize some form of supplemental aeration device in your pond.

Do you actually know how much difference your aerator is making? Have you conducted before and after tests to determine any increase in Dissolved Oxygen?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No. I read somewhere once (maybe even here?) that the only increase in oxygen from an aerator is right at the surface, since the bubbles rise and pop, releasing the oxygen. Not sure how true that is? But someone will know and either agree or correct me on that!

For me, the main thing I like about the air stones is they stir up the sediment and get it in the water flow where it can get filtered out of the pond. I also know when it's hot, the bubblers will push the cooler water up and it feels good. So maybe the fish feel the same! So we do turn them on 24/7 when we get a streak of long hot days. Otherwise they run dusk to dawn.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true I had problems before and after adding more aeration that just my ball valve spurting water across the surface of the pond and my spitters in the waterfall I resolved the problems I saw .The air pump really helped a lot in establishing my new pond .My pond before was established and water was clear ,fish were happy ,test were great .The new built pond as of 2014 established much faster with the added aeration .Every time I rebuilt I would see the changes as I added more air and kept coming up with more ideas to add air .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
A few questions for all who utilize some form of supplemental aeration device in your pond.

Do you actually know how much difference your aerator is making? Have you conducted before and after tests to determine any increase in Dissolved Oxygen?

I should do that.... unfortunately I'm heavily stocked so I'm abit worried about doing this.

I will be moving the aerators to plant shelves in the winter and will try to test the DO then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have any equipment to test for dissolved oxygen. My option is based solely on my observations, that they make a big difference in water clarity, algae and fish activity.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't have any equipment to test for dissolved oxygen. My option is based solely on my observations, that they make a big difference in water clarity, algae and fish activity.

There is no question that aeration in most instances is beneficial in improving water quality and clarity.
I guess that I didn't phrase the question properly. Do you know how much difference your aerator is making? Would a different set-up provide greater benefits and be more cost effective? A diffuser over an aitstone, maybe. Also, if your pond has a waterfall and/or a stream would an aerator really provide much in additional benefit as once Oxygen reaches saturation the water will hold no more under normal circumstances?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I originally added an aerator to circulate the water at the bottom of the pond more. Before I was using a small pump on the bottom. I have noticed the aerator circulates the water much better than the pump. I also noticed that I have a shorter algae bloom in the spring using the aerator, and the algae bloom is not nearly as bad (I can still see halfway down into the pond). And on top of all this the aerator is adding more dissolved oxygen, even if I don't know how much. :)

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Understanding oxygen is important in the water, my aeration is mostly for water movement supplementing my pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We pump air into three of our four filters as well as the pond by way of bottom drain aireator , if we wished we could turn of the bottom drain aireator and still not loose any Oxygenation in the pond at all .
This is because of the oxygenated water coming from the three filters

Dave

Reaction score
I only use two in the winter in an attempt to keep the ice open (which doesn't happen all winter.) With a waterfall I don't see why they would be necessary. It's a good question but probably will be answered by spurious observation with many confounding variables,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I only use two in the winter in an attempt to keep the ice open (which doesn't happen all winter.) With a waterfall I don't see why they would be necessary. It's a good question but probably will be answered by spurious observation with many confounding variables,
However you can start to super cool your pond by running airstones without some form of cover such as the policarbonate roofing sheets that we use to cover the pond in winter

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know at the pond store in NC they use air stones in winter but they have styrofoam float rings and the air stones are floated right near the surface of there sample ponds .I guess for them it is better than running a heater to keep an opening in each pond .Only one air stone at the surface of each pond .

Ask a Question