Is it worth attempting a patch repair on a pond liner? If not how much new liner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
Thank you for allowing me to join the forum.
I am in need of some pond expert advice.
We have two garden ponds primarily for wildlife. Today I noticed that our larger pond has a tear in the liner, I cannot recall what type of material this is made from.
What is the general view and experience of pond liner repair kits? Is this worth a go or not.

If not for a pond that is 6" x 3" x 1.5" deep how much liner would I need to get and does anyone have any recommendations as to what and where to get this?

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
Ellen

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
If it's a tear from damage, I'd repair it. If it's a tear from being brittle and old, id replace it.
If you buy a really good quality liner, like one manufactured by Firestone, you'll pay more. But this type might just last you nearly forever.
That's like a 6' x 9' pond with the height factored in (someone correct me if I'm wrong) So I'd order a custom 8'x12' to be safe. Even a 10' x 15' if your measurements are off a bit. A little too large is fine. A little too small is a disaster.
I got the best deal on Ebay with free shipping.
Free shipping is important because these thick, Firestone liners are heavy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies. The tear is on a fold it wouldn't be that difficult for me too smooth this part of the pond so as to fix it. Well slighyly less hassle than taking it all apart and re-doing it! I was thinking that I was going to have to attend to the other pond this autumn as that too I suspect has a leak! Oh my I am going to be busy with ponds.

Any particular recommendations for what repair kits are good?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
iT'S ACTUALY QUITE EASY TO SEAM/ REPAIR A LINER ! G o to you tube and do a search for epdm seaming.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had 1 on a fold and my liner was only put in around 2014 and was epdm and had to replace it this last spring .A fold was impossible to patch .But I used pieces of my liner for under my pond filters .How old is your liner .If older then replace it to epdm ,since the pond is small it won't cost alot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I have bitten the bullet as it is and have bought a lovely new liner which is a bit bigger! Whilst researching this issue I came across a lovely design that I now want to replicate. The liner is a more expensive and flexible one so the folds will be more sturdy. So no guesses what I will be doing this weekend!

Your responses have been welcoming and very helpful so again thankyou.

Ask a Question