How much surface area should be shaded from direct sunlight?

Reaction score
Like the title says, in the daytime at certain times for a few hours I get full sunlight on my rectangular pond...

Both ends get shaded as they are East and West, but the long side is South facing with no shade...

Because I had a green pond last summer, I have started to cover a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the southside...

Any thoughts?

I have a UV filter with a busted bulb which I will be fixing that at the weekend...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may have to pick up all the fine stuff in your pond as the green water is really just algae .I use quilt batting in my filters and some put it in a laundry basket in there waterfall to catch it .Once you get rid of the fine algae cells the water will look clearer .Having plants in the pond to shade the water will help also ,like lilies ,water hyacinth ,or water lettuce will reduce the light that gets through and eats up the nutrients produced by the fish .Do you have fish I did not see mention of it so far .Testing your water will help also

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
when your U.V is fixed and running your green water should disappear. but if you get alot of sun shade helps keep the water cooler. i get no green water and my pond is in full sun 10 hours a day. i used to use a U.V, but i have no need anymore. after a couple years i stopped getting green water. plants help alot..using the same nutrients as the single cell alge thats causing your green water.

Reaction score
Thanks very much indeed for this advice, very helpful...

My fish? Some Goldfish, Fantails, Orf, Koi and a couple of mystery fish (I don't know the species)...

There are also a bunch of frogs breeding in there at the moment, well bred and laid spawn. There are so,me plants in there too...

By the way the fish are breeding also...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have lilies covering about 1/3. We built an arbor a few years ago and put lattice on top to help with the shade. My pond is in full sun all day.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine is in full sun all day also and I planted some not too tall evergreen trees an shrubs on the south side of the pond so it helps shade a bit along w/ the water lilies and floating plant rings w/ plants in them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is full sun all day, from sun up to sun down. The only shade is what the lilies and plants add. The deep end is totally unshaded. Did not have any green water issues or string algae last year. Did have the low end full of plants/lilies

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Just J; you get SUN in England??? Someone has been misleading me!
John

Reaction score
Just J; you get SUN in England??? Someone has been misleading me!
John

We get some glorious Sunshine in England, we get all sorts of weather here, just not really any "Extreme" weather. A beautiful temperate climate...

I've been to America and where I was, the weather was about the same (Boston, Mas and Cape Cod). Had a fantastic time there too, food and people were great...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was in england, many years ago, did a driving trip in a rented car. Stayed at bed and breakfast places. Had a heck of a good time, met a lot of really nice people.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When in London we came across a guy that had his whole body tattooed into a snake. His face was the jaws and flicking tongue, the body came up over the back of his head. This was long enough ago it was rarer to see that then.

Reaction score
When in London we came across a guy that had his whole body tattooed into a snake. His face was the jaws and flicking tongue, the body came up over the back of his head. This was long enough ago it was rarer to see that then.
We have our fair share of freaks in the UK the same as you guys over there...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no kidding, he was neat to see, just always wondered what he looked like as he aged...........lol

Ask a Question