How often & Phosphates

M

MariaTeresa

@Meyer Jordan Is a high level of phosphate bad for the fish and other pond life? Or is it just unwanted because it encourages the growth of algae?

@MitchM so if I kept the algae the grows on the waterfall it would 'eat' the phosphates in the water?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan Is a high level of phosphate bad for the fish and other pond life? Or is it just unwanted because it encourages the growth of algae?
Phosphorus is directly toxic to animal life only at extremely high levels. It is the response of plants and algae to elevated levels that is a major water quality issue.
"Phosphorus can be toxic, but toxicity occurs rarely in nature and is generally not a concern. Of more concern are the indirect effects of phosphorus. All algae and plants require phosphorus to grow.
Elevated phosphorus levels, however, can increase a freshwater system’s productivity and result in large amounts of organic matter falling to the bottom. Bacteria and other organisms decompose this matter and in the process use a lot of oxygen. In very productive freshwater systems, the oxygen levels can be in such short supply that fish kills occur.
A type of algae, called cyanobacteria, grows particularly well in high levels of phosphorus. Cyanobacterial blooms can cause a range of water quality problems, including summer fish kills, bad odours, and tainted drinking water. Some cyanobacteria produce toxins that can kill livestock and wildlife."
National Guidelines and Standards Office Environment Canada

It is important to point out that cyanobacteria blooms in garden ponds is extremely rare.
One thing that this link does not mention is that the proliferation of algae growth can effectively block sunlight from reaching the lower levels of a pond resulting in algae at these levels dying off. Bacteria activity will increase due to decomposition of this dead algae consuming even more Oxygen from the water column.
Effective aeration may help, but the source of the Phosphorus should be eliminated or a chronic state of imbalance will exist.

M

MariaTeresa

Both times that my pump broke the pond experienced a cyanobacteria bloom. Looked just like green paint had been poured in. I could swirl it around with the net. Very pretty, actually, but concerning especially since our dog drinks from the pond.

Thank you for the information, Meyer, I can see now why the high phosphorus levels should be dealt with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
@Meyer Jordan ...

@MitchM so if I kept the algae the grows on the waterfall it would 'eat' the phosphates in the water?

I find hair algae is not as harmful in a stream or on a waterfall.
If the algae is in the main pond, it gan grow thick enough to form a net or web and will restrict water flow.
It sounds like dealing with phosphate is going to be an ongoing issue for you. That's too bad.
Did you get a chance to find out how much phosphate is added to the source water?

M

MariaTeresa

I have not had a chance to call the water company yet. I did get a chance to try the Phos-Out yesterday. I retested today....no change. Nor are there "little pellets" that are supposed to form. It does say to wait 48 hours to test, though. I tested the water straight from the hose, it is at 1ppm like the pond, but slightly darker.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did a little research on the practice of adding Phosphate to municipal water supplies to prevent corrosion. It is a practice used in some parts of the U.S. but the highest target level that I could find for this practice was 0.10 ppm of P. a tenth of the level that you are showing.
Incidentally, if the PhosOut is applied per instructions it should only show a decrease of 0.015 ppm per treatment.

M

MariaTeresa

@Meyer Jordan Is that 0.10 and 0.015ppm of phosphorus or phosphate?

I'm leaning toward, and hoping, that my phosphate test is for some reason messed up. If the water coming from my tap is really 10x the amount it should be (according to the test), then the test must be wrong.

If my phosphate level is really this high I should expect that I'd have an awful lot of string algae to content with, right? The amount in the pond does not seem excessive at the moment, though it is increasing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
A possible solution to your problem is an algal turf scrubber: www.enst.umd.edu/research/research-centers/what-algal-turf-scrubber I have wanted to experiment with trying a turf scrubber on a garden pond for awhile, just haven't had the time to mess with it. I think an effective scrubber could be built fairly simply and cheaply, with the water circulated with little energy by way of airlifts. It could be a way to harness the power of that snot algae we hate so much to drastically improve the pond water quality by removing nutrients that continually are building up in the pond water. There is quite a bit of info on the net if you do a search. Turf scrubbers have been shown to be effective on large scale in sewage treatment plants to purify water. Check out some of the projects listed on the link provided.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A possible solution to your problem is an algal turf scrubber: www.enst.umd.edu/research/research-centers/what-algal-turf-scrubber I have wanted to experiment with trying a turf scrubber on a garden pond for awhile, just haven't had the time to mess with it. I think an effective scrubber could be built fairly simply and cheaply, with the water circulated with little energy by way of airlifts. It could be a way to harness the power of that snot algae we hate so much to drastically improve the pond water quality by removing nutrients that continually are building up in the pond water. There is quite a bit of info on the net if you do a search. Turf scrubbers have been shown to be effective on large scale in sewage treatment plants to purify water. Check out some of the projects listed on the link provided.

ATS are great for use in cleaning discharge water from Waste Treatment Plants. To be used effectively in a pond scenario, one would first have to figure out how to grow the algae only on the scrubber screens, but not in the source (pond).

Ask a Question