Another reason to feed your fish often.

Reaction score
I've had the theory for a while that it's actually nitrifying bacteria growing on fish that give fish that fishy smell. That's why if you take rocks (or other objects like handfuls of algae) out of a stream and smell then it will smell fishy. The fishy smell is the bacteria, not the fish at all. That slimy coating on your fish is actually a nice coating of friendly nitrifying (and possibly other types) of bacteria. Same goes for bio-media in your bio-filter, once it's established, if you pull it out and smell it it has that fishy smell, and this could be regardless of if you have actual fish in the pond or not.

Try it. Rub your rocks and smell them. Fishy smell? Run your liner with you hand and smell it. Fishy smell? Grab handful of bio-media out of you filter and smell it. Fishy smell? Now rub one of your larger fish and smell your hand. Same fishy smell right?
Not too scientific I know, but I bet I'm right.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
interesting. i need to read it. i already have questions in my mind.. probably a good plane ride read

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've had the theory for a while that it's actually nitrifying bacteria growing on fish that give fish that fishy smell. That's why if you take rocks (or other objects like handfuls of algae) out of a stream and smell then it will smell fishy. The fishy smell is the bacteria, not the fish at all. That slimy coating on your fish is actually a nice coating of friendly nitrifying (and possibly other types) of bacteria. Same goes for bio-media in your bio-filter, once it's established, if you pull it out and smell it it has that fishy smell, and this could be regardless of if you have actual fish in the pond or not.

Try it. Rub your rocks and smell them. Fishy smell? Run your liner with you hand and smell it. Fishy smell? Grab handful of bio-media out of you filter and smell it. Fishy smell? Now rub one of your larger fish and smell your hand. Same fishy smell right?
Not too scientific I know, but I bet I'm right.

I agree completely. Biofilm is everywhere. What makes this particular bacteria interesting is that it converts ammonia directly into Nitrogen gas. This is usually an anaerobic process. I don't know if the bacteria was identified by specie. I don't feel like paying to read the entire original research paper right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Is it definitive that salting the pond for a few weeks in the Spring increases the slime coat more so than it does naturally on it's own? I alway salted the pond and have stopped ... Everything you read is contrary to each other? Off topic if that's ok but slime coat was mentioned.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is it definitive that salting the pond for a few weeks in the Spring increases the slime coat more so than it does naturally on it's own? I alway salted the pond and have stopped ... Everything you read is contrary to each other? Off topic if that's ok but slime coat was mentioned.
If it does it is only by irritating the fish's skin forcing mucous secretion thus placing additional stress on fish at a time that they least need it.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ok wait.... I am super confused. I thought it was don't feed them, feed them sparingly, etc.... ?? So once I get some filtration going I can feed them? It says 1 to 2 a day sparingly which is what I was doing.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What the article is really saying is to feed more often than once or twice a day. Just reduce the amount of food each feeding.
This is from my article "To Feed or Not To Feed"-----
"3. Frequency – It has been shown in laboratory tests that continuous feeding is most beneficial and more closely coincides with natural feeding patterns. Unless one is willing to purchase a programmable automatic feed dispenser, the continuous feeding option is an impossibility, but the greater the number of feeding periods that one can manage the more the fish will benefit."

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But...but... Maybe I'm confused but I thought that feeding them results in more ammonia which then requires additional filtering. Also that feeding them increases the fish population because they don't have to go all cannibalistic on each other. Obviously unrelated since this is a healthy bacteria we are talking about but now I'm torn between wanting healthy fish and not wanting a gazillion of them... I'm probably overthinking this...
I'm now going to go overthink the alcohol to blood ratio while I drink a beer... LOL

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
But...but... Maybe I'm confused but I thought that feeding them results in more ammonia which then requires additional filtering. Also that feeding them increases the fish population because they don't have to go all cannibalistic on each other. Obviously unrelated since this is a healthy bacteria we are talking about but now I'm torn between wanting healthy fish and not wanting a gazillion of them... I'm probably overthinking this...
I'm now going to go overthink the alcohol to blood ratio while I drink a beer... LOL
Let's clarify this subject of feeding. Fish, like all living things, require a certain level of nutrition to maintain health and growth. In animals it is called a 'maintenance diet'. .Each specie is different it its basic nutritional requirements. The requirements have been determined for many species of fish including Koi/Carp and Goldfish. It is on this maintenance level that all other aspects of fish husbandry are based. The maintenance level determines the amount of Ammonia secreted daily by fish which determines the total bio-conversion (existing and supplemental) required. In a nutshell, supplemental biofiltration should be based solely on the amount of supplemental feedimg.
As regards population, reduction or cessation of feeding at spawning and several days thereafter will insure population control.

Ask a Question