How to calculate what pump to use

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks all. Thanks for sharing Dave. I think I'm good then. 4280 and 2900 Gph pumps came in yesterday. I actually ordered the old 4200 but got the new model instead, which is nice.

The pond will be a total of about 3500 gallon including bog and stream. My husband wants a bigger pond though. I dont want too big because I want to be able to see my fish everywhere they go ;)

I'm designing a deck to go with the pond. Better start learn how to build a curved deck ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Rob, I actually looked at your pond showcase and base my idea for pump from there too :) 6 feet stream looks so pretty but too big for me ;) how deep is your stream? That's one thing I don't really understand how to calculate the volumn of water going through stream. I didn't know I need to calculate the bog together with the pond volumn for the pump size?
Our stream is very shallow, for the most part it is about 3" to 4" deep then the rocks on the bottom gives about 1.5" to almost none in some areas. We wanted it shallow for the birds. It does have a couple deeper pockets for pooling so the water will go wider. In those areas it is about 6" to 8" deep. They are also filled with stone. No need to calculate that volume in my opinion which with ours is not very much. Your volume is in the pond and bog. When I shut my stream down also all the water drains back into the pond for the most part. I have approximately 108 gallons per minute go thru my stream. My filters hold around 120 gallons.

This shows the depth and pooling area well. As you can see not much volume

IMG_2012 by Rob & Amy Lavoie, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks rob :) I didn't calculate the stream per-say, I just mostly round down my gallon on the bog and pond and just call it all ;)

I'm going to have the stream from 4-5 feet wide now. I have 6 feet wide liner to play with. Thanks for the info on yours. It' really helps my visualize the build. :)

Ask a Question