How to check UV light working?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Before re-installing my UV filter this year (for Savio skimmer), I decided to check that it was working OK. After putting on UV protective glasses, I plugged the unit in and looked at the bulb, and saw nothing. After disconnecting the bulb, I tried to check that power was reaching it, using a multimeter. There are 4 terminals that connect the bulb to power supply (Emperor, see pic), but I could only check 2 at a time - so probably not reliable (0.2 V AC only). I thought that the transformer would be a reliable part of the setup. Anyone have any experience with what it likely to fail with this system?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 158
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did you use a new light bulb?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you use a new light bulb?
Thanks Gemma. The bulb is part of the dilemma, it was new last year, although I admit I did not check it before using. Getting a new bulb might be the reasonable decision, as I will need one at some time anyway, and if the new bulb doesn't work then it must be the power supply. Actually found out that the power supply is a ballast, not a transformer as I had thought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a Savio UV too, that slides into the skimmer. I find I get two seasons from the bulb, before it becomes ineffective. I'd try a new bulb :)

Ask a Question