String algae control

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
With the recent warm sunny days here in NJ the string algae has gotten out of control. My chubby black moor keeps on getting stuck because of his/her telescope eyes and I'm afraid it will eventually die if I don't get this resolved. @Lisak1 mentioned physically removing which I will do this weekend but I'd also consider other methods to speed this up. This is my first Spring with a new pond, is it normal to have string algae overgrowth every year?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Fairly typical in newer ponds. Every pond is different, but for me it doesn’t happen in my main pond at all which is well established with a bog and a lot of plants.

The pond I just built last year for my turtles has a bit of string algae this spring, as the plants haven’t really taken off yet. I just scoop the algae out, you don’t want it to get to thick where it can smother plants in early spring.

You should only have to deal with it this spring if you have it well planted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If your pond is balanced (i.e. a good ratio of water to fish to plants to feeding) you will not have string algae in the amount you are seeing it now every year. I get some on my waterfall every year, but NOTHING like the first two seasons.

Hydrogen peroxide poured directly on the string algae will kill it within minutes. But that method is less effective if the string algae is under water. And also remember that any algae that dies in your pond will add to the nutrient load that is already out of balance. Hence my recommendation to remove as much as possible by hand. It's kind of a good, relaxing, stress reducer for me!

Reaction score
With the recent warm sunny days here in NJ the string algae has gotten out of control. My chubby black moor keeps on getting stuck because of his/her telescope eyes and I'm afraid it will eventually die if I don't get this resolved. @Lisak1 mentioned physically removing which I will do this weekend but I'd also consider other methods to speed this up. This is my first Spring with a new pond, is it normal to have string algae overgrowth every year
String algae can be a problem in spring because takes the biofilter some time to catch up with the nutrient load in the water. This usually clears up when the bacteria in the filter populate enough to starve the string algae out. While I'm waiting for the filter to kick in I remove the largest strings. A very effective to do this is a plain old cheap toilet bowl brush. I got one for 99 cents at Walmart. I them attached it to an old broom handle by drilling holes and insert nuts and bolts. Now I can reach far into the pond and run the brush at the base of the algae string. Simply turn the broom handle and the whole string will roll up on the brush and can be easily removed. I don't think you can prevent string algae in the spring but you can certainly control it until the filter kicks in gear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Made my string algae removal tool, works like a charm. I told my kids I used the one in the bathroom and it freaked them out.
IMG_20180505_164230.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
One thing to remember is that the string algae is serving an important role in the pond in early spring by removing the excess nutrients that your filtration and other pond plants aren't yet prepared to handle. While we see it as a bit of a nuisance we should also consider it a helper as fish would suffer if it didn't appear in the pond. Feel free to remove as much as possible, but thank it as you do for helping keep your pond healthy!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My only issue with string algae is when it engulfs my other submerged and/or marginals. I have to pull it out of leaves and roots — yuck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My only issue with string algae is when it engulfs my other submerged and/or marginals. I have to pull it out of leaves and roots — yuck!

Same here - when our pond was new, we had so much string algae that it was choking out the other plants. Although I don't find it yucky - I find it kind of relaxing to pull it out. Like peeling skin off a sunburn... OK I'M WEIRD. NOW YOU KNOW!! haha!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
got a toilet bowl brush and it has a screw handle and it screwed perfectly into a mop handle I had .Got both of them at the dollar store

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I use peroxide and a toilet brush for string in it stream. Shut of stream pour peroxide on string wait 30 mins in sun brush off and turn on stream. What I do not get with a brush washes to stream fish eat.

Ali

Reaction score
If your pond is balanced (i.e. a good ratio of water to fish to plants to feeding) you will not have string algae in the amount you are seeing it now every year. I get some on my waterfall every year, but NOTHING like the first two seasons.

Hydrogen peroxide poured directly on the string algae will kill it within minutes. But that method is less effective if the string algae is under water. And also remember that any algae that dies in your pond will add to the nutrient load that is already out of balance. Hence my recommendation to remove as much as possible by hand. It's kind of a good, relaxing, stress reducer for me!
Is it the 3% pharmacy grade HP? are you using full strength or dilute? I have black algae in the waterfall. Would like to spot treat but I'm concerned about the fish. I've heard that HP dissipates within minutes and was thinking of turning off the waterfall, spray HP, wait 30 mins and then turn the water back on but I'm not sure if that'd be safe :(

Ask a Question