How to determine the energy efficiency of a pump

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I never do well when I "search" for something on here, so maybe one of you will recall what I'm looking for and can repost that information.

It was information/what to look at to tell how energy efficient any given pump was. I don't recall if it was a formula or what, but it was helpful.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember that laguna pumps use less energy than they say .i never knew that until ponddigger told me and I use my watt tester on them and my 2900 gph one if I remember was 100 watt pump but was using 80 watts and the 2400 gph was using 60 or 65 watts .Watt testers are the number one tool to have around your house .If your power bill goes up you can easily find which item is being an energy hog

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
remember that laguna pumps use less energy than they say .i never knew that until ponddigger told me and I use my watt tester on them and my 2900 gph one if I remember was 100 watt pump but was using 80 watts and the 2400 gph was using 60 or 65 watts .Watt testers are the number one tool to have around your house .If your power bill goes up you can easily find which item is being an energy hog
But I don't want to find this out after I've spent the money on a pump!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pumps are usually listed with either Amps or Watts. Watts determines the efficiency of a pump. The lower the watts the more efficient it is. If only Amps are listed multiply that by voltage (in the U.S. that is 110--120 V), The answer is the Wattage of the pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why laguna or oase were the 2 brands I was looking at the second is very expensive so I really wanted to know what the laguna was using in watts .They say 100 watts but since it can hit it's sweet spot lower I chose them with no regrets .I have seen some pumps that are a 1000 gph that use 300 watts and the head on them was not great and warranty 60 days

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have seen some pumps that are a 1000 gph that use 300 watts and the head on them was not great and warranty 60 days

There is a LOT of junk floating around out there. This is why I question most 'Deals' found on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is the main reason I bought from reputable places on ebay like webbs and country fish girl and both pumps came with a 4 year warranty .Plus my son had ebay bucks to spend from his sports card sight on there .I paid 170 something for the 2900 gph and 125 for the 2400 gph and ebay bucks came out to get first one for 150 and second 1 was 100 dollars

Reaction score
Country
United States
The energy factor (EF) indicates a water pump's overall energy efficiency based on the amount of water produced per unit of fuel consumed over a typical day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did a lot of research before I bought .I like the exterior pumps but that meant extra work and extra worries .I am trying to make my pond leak free and worry free .That is why all the hoses stay in the pond and both filters are inside liners that way if they over flow the water will run right back into the pond and if hoses leak that all runs back into the pond .Even my pumps are tied to pipe over the pond and if I need to clean them I just pull them to me .No more knocking pumps over that are tied to crates .I am sure not getting any younger ;)

Ask a Question