j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've never had my lilies on the bottom of my pond. I have a plant ledge where it's about 18" deep and that's where they stay. I've heard others here say that they like to start them up higher for quicker growth and then sink them to the bottom as they grow. Just think it will take longer for yours to get going if deeper.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'm with j.w. on this one. It's been my personal experience that lillies started too deep tend to take forever to get going, and often just die off. Many hardy lillies can adapt to water 3' deep or a little more, but 4' is pushing it! Start them off with no more than 12" of water over the soil, and lower them gradually as they grow.
John

Reaction score
Good waterlily division tutorial. Thanks. I just divided a clump of yellow waterlilies today and had no clue what I was doing really since it was the first time that I divided them lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You prolly need more fertilizer Lou. See you have no fish poo in your pond right? So they need lots of fert. You can jab into the pots they are in w/ some Jobe's tomato spike fert or many other kinds even break up tree spikes. You can use 14-14-14 Osmocote and wrap some in a small piece of un-perfumed tissue that will dissolve and shove it down into the pots.
Here is a thread from the forum on it: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/pond-plant-fertilizers.10481/

Ask a Question