How to keep water level steady in outdoors pond if rainy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You apparently are buying into the corporate BS.... There is no dinner bell for breakfast lunch and dinner in the wild. And more often than not fish have to survive days ,weeks and even months on no food.

For a tub pond I'm hoping you have a few gold fish. NO KOI MAYBE SOME MINNOWS OR GUPPIES. You don't need to feed the dissolve stick . Many here have a similar set up and NEVER feed the fish. They do just fine grazing on the algae that grows in a healthy environment.

Best way for you to combat excessive rains and keep your fish from going over the edge is to put a net over it water can drain from everywhere and you won't need to be johnny on the spot to keep a 1/4 hole clear of debris. But even if it did and the water overflowed the top it's not a big deal unless the fish start doing the same but in the same regard it could be looked at as population control

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a bathtub pond that had two holes for the faucets to go into. I took two old black plastic film canisters, cut the bottom off and put netting on the one end. Stuck them in those holes and now when it rains it does not over flow. Water goes out the holes but nothing else. They never clog up enough to stop the flow. Lucky for me that they fit in those holes just perfect.

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_7452.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i was saying only us old folk know what film canisters are ... heck todays generation barely knows what a camera is. if you asked them too bring a camera they'd reach for their cell phone

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a bathtub pond that had two holes for the faucets to go into. I took two old black plastic film canisters, cut the bottom off and put netting on the one end. Stuck them in those holes and now when it rains it does not over flow. Water goes out the holes but nothing else. They never clog up enough to stop the flow. Lucky for me that they fit in those holes just perfect.

View attachment 158423

View attachment 158424
Thank you j.w, I like this idea and have some questions:
The pond is of preformed thick plastic, probably around 20 years old, possibly a bit older. I don't think I've drilled on that kind of material before (or in many others for that matter). Would there be a high risk of tearing it big to the point of destroying the pond? What safety measures would you apply to make sure that doesn't happen?

Another one could be using a pump that only works when water is high enough. I could set it in a way that it sprinkles water out of the pond until the water level is safe enough. Haven't been able to find such a pond.

Thank you again everyone. It's about a week now before the trip and start getting sad about the little ones. Just in the last two days it rained officially "40mm" in my area but the pond water went up by over 100mm :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thank you j.w, I like this idea and have some questions:
The pond is of preformed thick plastic, probably around 20 years old, possibly a bit older. I don't think I've drilled on that kind of material before (or in many others for that matter). Would there be a high risk of tearing it big to the point of destroying the pond? What safety measures would you apply to make sure that doesn't happen?

Another one could be using a pump that only works when water is high enough. I could set it in a way that it sprinkles water out of the pond until the water level is safe enough. Haven't been able to find such a pond.

Thank you again everyone. It's about a week now before the trip and start getting sad about the little ones. Just in the last two days it rained officially "40mm" in my area but the pond water went up by over 100mm :(
That part I can't tell ya about as I've never drilled into plastic ponds. Maybe you could melt a round hole? Not sure on that either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20 year old plastic is surely not as strong or as elastic as it once was.
If you decide you want to drill it I strongly suggest and no this is not a typo nor have I been drinking. You want to drill in reverse. This will melt the plastic more than cut it. Your almost guaranteed to have no issues in this manner.

Ask a Question