How to keep water level steady in outdoors pond if rainy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That's exactly it.

Happy to hear / read all suggestions and experiences regarding this matter.

I will be away for over 3 weeks and, sadly, haven't been able to find someone to look after my three little goldfish. They were in the property when we purchased it 3 years ago. The vendor told us they were about 16 years old (back then, now about 19 y.o.)

Thank you for all your time and help, much appreciated.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! You are worried about the water level being too high? Usually it would be the evaporation that might be an issue which could be dealt with an auto top off or a trickle fill. What type and how big is the pond?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you for your reply and welcome!

I live in Adelaide, South Australia, in probably its rainiest area (Happy Valley region). Precipitation is of about 1mm to 20mm per day, min of 1mm per day, average of about 3 to 4mm per day every single winter day. For the 23 days I'll be away it'd be 7 to over 9cm higher, enough to make the fish easy prey to birds (already happened twice).

The pond is apparently of hard plastic, approximate dimensions 90cmL * 60cmW * 50cmH. I was wondering whether there was any system or device that could get rid of, or neutralise the leaves that might fall inside the pond, and at the same time keep water levels within safe limits for the first.

Thank you once again 👍

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a low edge on my pond, liner, where excess water can flow out.

If no rain I have a automatic plant watering system set up to add water daily, or manually.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Is the pond dug into the ground or above ground?

To keep water levels lower on a rigid plastic tub, you would have to drill a hole at the desired height and use a bulkhead or uniseal fitting with some pvc pipe. This would also allow you to adjust the water level higher again by adjusting the pipe. Without drilling an overflow, you would have to use some type of sump pump with a float switch on it.

To deal with the leaves and keep the birds out and make the water level issue moot, could you rig up some pond netting and solve three issues at once?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kanga.gif
@vachavc

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sounds like you may have a stock tank a little smaller than mine. Mine is above ground but here's some ways I came up with to keep stuff out of there : Vinyl window screen - sold by the foot at local hardware store. Secured with clothes pegs on lip of pond.
Wire mesh - sold by the foot at local hardware store.
Large golf umbrella - free from the re-use shed at my local dump.😁

Attachments

• 20230521_150406.jpg
    20230521_150406.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220811_194935.jpg
    20220811_194935.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220910_154607[168].jpg
    20220910_154607[168].jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, thank you for your time and ideas, much appreciated indeed 😊🙏
I was thinking about drilling one or two little holes (2, 3mm diameter) at the maximum level of water that I know is safe for the fish (local birds unable to pick them up). Please let me know your ideas, thank you once again.

Attachments

• IMG-20220104-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20220104-WA0021.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20220104-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20220104-WA0019.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 22

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
One drawback with small holes would be the possibility of a leaf or other debris easily clogging it up.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you once again. How about a second pump, that I could turn on or off remotely via Internet, and that could gradually pump water out of the pond?

The current pump in the pond, if placed on top of the fish home (flat tile in pictures) can do that, but the pond also need a pump that aerates the water constantly, especially if it's going to be unattended for over 3 weeks. However, I'm concerned it could be too much for the little fish to have two pumps working at once, even if just casually. Please let me know your ideas.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How about drilling the holes plus laying something over the top to keep leaves from falling in to plug it? Another thing I have used for that purpose is lattice.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How about drilling the holes plus laying something over the top to keep leaves from falling in to plug it? Another thing I have used for that purpose is lattice.
Your pond is so similar to mine. Even the pump looks the same. If I am covering with the 1 in. Wire mesh or lattice it is 2 pieces so the fountain head can stick out. I put flat rocks or scrap lumber on the edges so the wind can't blow it off.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Your pond is so similar to mine. Even the pump looks the same. If I am covering with the 1 in. Wire mesh or lattice it is 2 pieces so the fountain head can stick out. I put flat rocks or scrap lumber on the edges so the wind can't blow it off.
Thank you once again. Oh that's great! I was recommended a net at the local hardware store:

They also recommended a pond vacuum:

Thank you once again for all your suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why not install the tub off level so when it rains it overflows at the lowest edge

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Why not install the tub off level so when it rains it overflows at the lowest edge
Thank you. I'm afraid the tub is fixed in the place it was installed when this house was built. My main concern is getting the leaves and debris out as much as possible, keeping the fish fed enough (bought a 2-3 week bar that dissolves nutrients in the water in that period of time) and keeping the water at an appropriate level that will not let birds to prey on the fish.

Ask a Question