How to lay pond liner

Reaction score
Im getting ready to lay the pond liner this weekend, the pond is 5X11X2 what is the best way to lay the liner? start at one and just lay it across and let it fall in and back out the other side?

I would think this is the most sensible way, then to push it down into the nooks and cranes then fill with water and let it pull and settle? any help would be apprciated.

Reaction score
Are you placing an underlayment under the pond liner? If so, lay the underlayment first. After you're finished, Place the liner in the center of the pond. Unfold it and pull up along the sides.

Be aware that water is heavy. Once you fill the pond with water, it will be difficult if not impossible to move the liner.

Before you fill the pond with water, climb into the pond and use your body weight to make sure that the liner is adjusted the way you would like. Be especially aware of the corners. Corners can sag and may need to be folded.

This would also be a good time to lay stone if you plan to hide the liner from sight. Stone will also help hold the liner in place. Lay the large heavy stones on the bottom and place other stones on top. Be aware that round stones tend to roll, so try not to place round stones on top of round stones as these will be unstable.

The liner at the bottom of the pond may be hidden using gravel or sand.

Here's a website that you may find useful: http://watergarden.com/pages/build_wg.html

Reaction score
thanks i will be laying underlinear first, thats a good idea to place it in the hole then unfold it and pull up the sides. I was going to unroll it out of the pond and then with some help lift it over and place it in hole draping the excess over the walls and sides. your idea makes much more sence as it was going to be hard to pick up 110 pounds of liner streached out over 15x20.

There will be stones out side along the edges, is it a good idea to put the stones there before or after adding water? I have seen most add the water then add stones after, i guess this would be if the liner gets pulled down because of the water weight it wont pull the stones in.

Reaction score
The water will definitely settle the liner. If you're only going to put rocks around the top, then you might as well put the liner in, press it into place, and fill it with water.

If you partially excavate some holes around the edge of the pond, you can hide the top of your pond liner and give your pond a more natural look by semi-burying the rocks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Here are some shots from my lower pond liner install. I used supports to suspend mine so I could optimise it around the hole.

Attachments

• EPDM Liner Install 500 (1).jpg
    EPDM Liner Install 500 (1).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 775
  • EPDM Liner Install 500 (2).jpg
    EPDM Liner Install 500 (2).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 717
  • EPDM Liner Install 500 (3).jpg
    EPDM Liner Install 500 (3).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 807
  • EPDM Liner Install 500 (4).jpg
    EPDM Liner Install 500 (4).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 913
Reaction score
I have read that it is easiest to fill it with water, let it sit for a day or two, then empty it, then put in the rocks along the sides if you plan to use them, then refill it. That is what I did with my pond. Having the water in there for a bit will move the liner into place.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I allways do that to insure that chemicals that may be present on the surface of the EPDM are removed. You can never be too safe.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Removing the water is as simple as turning on the pump and directing the water somewhere else. If you have a bottom drain and a closed system that could be a problem unless you plumbed in a diverter for that purpose.

Most of us have submersable pumps with flexible hoses, these are the easiest to work with and allow draining very easily.

Now if your pond is in a bowl with no negative horizon anywhere, what do you do when it rains?

Reaction score
well removing the water, i see no problem in that, just flip on the pump, but i have no place to put the water, unless im going to just let it flood the yard. There is allowable space for over flow from rain to happen, but not 800 or so gallons as that is the size of my pond.

Even if i just fill it half way thats 400 gals to put somewhere, hmmmm ill have to think about this.

Reaction score
I will also put this out there, as i was going to line the pond this weekend, but its raining here in so.cali, im guessing its not a good idea to line the pond with wet soil??
There is no more rain on the horizon from sat/sun.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you can water your plants,trees ,and grass...800 gal is a lot but its not a flood when spread out

Reaction score
did you happen to take any pictures of your build???
because im located in SOCAL too and im interested in building an in-ground pond

Ask a Question