How would I add a skimmer to my pond?

Reaction score
Hi. So I purchased a 950 gph pump with UV bulb on clearance at Home Depot for 75% off. Was basically the cost of a UV bulb so why not right...? Anyway I think I would like to add a skimmer to my pond. Any tips on how I would do this since I dont have any spare liner? If I understand correctly, the pump goes in the skimmer. A prefilter pad could go in the skimmer before the pump. Then the pump pumps the water out to a filter that should be located on the opposite side of the pond. So what do I have to do to keep the water from all leaking out where the water is sucked into the skimmer? Get some new liner and tape/seal it to the existing liner? Thanks for any ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I did not install my skimmer, but did observe it being done. The pond water was lowered, the area were the skimmer was to go, excavated and the existing liner was not disturbed. If I was home, I'd post some pictures for you.

I have two sets of filter mats in my skimmer and both my pumps in there.

I probably would not recommend a Savio for a retro fit, it was a tough install on my pond. I think a rectangular shape would install more easily. JMOH.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I put one in one of my ponds this spring
I have a few pics
I put my skimmer on the low end of my pond that was built up with bricks and had to break out the bricks and mortar to fit it in
You wont need any extra liner just dig out were you want it, and stick the top of the weir 1 to 2" above you water

You obviously got a Savio nicely installed. I guess I should amend my comments to say we originally had a poor install of our Savio last fall and had it redone this Spring. If it had been done properly to begin with, I"m sure it wouldn't have been such a big deal. It is a good skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I have the Tetra In-Pond skimmer. It's designed to sit on a rock or ledge but you can stick a few pool noodles in the sides and make it float. I haven't had a single problem with it. The pump on this particular model was separate.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Pond-26562-TetraPond-Skimmer/dp/B002RBCT0O

Here is what lion has I believe. I've considered adding one on a shelf I have in fall to handle the few leaves I get flying by. This one you connect a hose to the skimmer from your pumps intake. Not sure how well it works tho.
If your pond is bigger than a bathtub, make sure you have a comfortable chair out there. You'll be spending a LOT of time cleaning that sucker!! (Been there--done that.)
John

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
If your pond is bigger than a bathtub, make sure you have a comfortable chair out there. You'll be spending a LOT of time cleaning that sucker!! (Been there--done that.)
John

Pond is bigger, but luckily a newer lot without mature trees. Have three 16-20' tall city trees on my lot that provide a few wayward leaves, but those are close to 100' away. Otherwise, I think I know what you mean! Lol also why I haven't gotten one yet, not worth the effort to set it up when I can fish em out by hand.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The skimmer not only collects leaves, it will skim the top of the water and make dull water look so much better

Ask a Question