What's your current favorite bacteria additive?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm about to install a new filter with all new filtering medium and am also out of my usual pond bacteria additive: BZT Pond Treatment (small powdered granules that contain bacteria and enzymes). I've used it for many years, always have clear water, but have started wondering if maybe there is something better? I've not really investigated for at least 15 years, so who knows what developments I've missed? It's only a 650 gallon pond, but with a fairly heavy fish load.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Don’t use any, as the bacteria is already present in the pond and will spread on its own to colonize new filter media.

Used to use something years ago that contained nitrospira bacteria in my fish tanks, to shorten the process of cycling a new tank. Can’t remember what it is called though, one of the few bacteria products that did what it was advertised to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We don't use bottled bacteria either. Is this is an established pond? If so, i wouldn't worry about it. You have plenty of bacteria growing in the pond to re-colonize your filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, it's an established (16 years) pond. I was just worried that with all new filter media, it might take a while to get "full of the good stuff" especially as the water has cooled off a bit. I'll proceed without additive and see how it goes. Thanks...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s a gimmick, but if you use it and you think it helps......I guess it wouldn’t matter what kind you used. My pond uses the natural bacteria present in the water. Good mechanical and biological filtration (and aeration) will go a long way toward healthy water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree , no additives are needed especially with a 16 year old pond. I would have saved something from the old filter whether it was a dirty foam block or what ever it may have been but if that's gone then place some aquatic plant stem or some muck from the bottom of the pond it will get the bacteria that's not in the water column but is on the hardscapes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, it's an established (16 years) pond. I was just worried that with all new filter media, it might take a while to get "full of the good stuff" especially as the water has cooled off a bit. I'll proceed without additive and see how it goes. Thanks...
Do you have to replace all the media at the same time? I'd try to find a way to use 1/2 the old media in the new filter for a few weeks, then put the other 1/2 new media in in place of the old media. Barring that, rinse out the old media and run that grungy water through the new filter. You'll do a bacteria transplant 1000x better than anything in a bottle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used to use Microbe Lift, until being on this forum convinced me to try going natural (nothing sold on the market) my pond is happier now that I don't add anything to it, and I'm happier I save hundreds ! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The verdict is in: I will keep one large filter pad that has muck in it - place it the bottom of the filter media pile (it is an up-flow filter) and discontinue the commercial bacteria use. Perhaps I'll use the money saved to install an aeration system for the filter....?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I admit- I use Pond-Zyme when I do large cleaning of filters. I quit using it 2 years ago and my filters were clogging up and the bottom of the pond had tons of leaves and muck on the bottom. So- went back to using it. Does it make a difference? Maybe like tiger repellant- no tigers seen!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I admit- I use Pond-Zyme when I do large cleaning of filters. I quit using it 2 years ago and my filters were clogging up and the bottom of the pond had tons of leaves and muck on the bottom. So- went back to using it. Does it make a difference? Maybe like tiger repellant- no tigers seen!

Hey, if it ain't broke, right?

Ask a Question