hurricane

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are about to have a hurricane a will lose power.Are gas powered water pumps safe to use on a koi pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never even heard of a gas powered one ,some use generators here

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@sissy, these pumps aren’t usually designed for use in water features. Are more common in using as a high pressure pump or trash pump to pump out large areas quickly. We use them to pump out sunken boats or jet piles down into hard bottom.

Would be ok as long as the suction/intake has a strainer on it and the pump is idled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have ever done this, but read about using a "marine " battery to power pond pumps and aerators. Probably other bbattery types work, but the article I read a long time ago, reference boat / marine batteries.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@tim welch - what kind of pond do you have? Type of filtration, pumps, etc? I read after several big hurricanes that eco-style ponds did fine with no power for up to a week. Depends on stocking level I'm sure. The biggest concern most had was pond overflow and losing fish - not sure how much you can do about that, though.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I left 100 gallons out of my pond again .I put it in 10 gallon barrels and took it to the back of my property in my cart with the lawnmower and figure it would help the grass grow .The most important part when it comes to flooding rain is to watch the water level in the pond and around the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Sadly my pond is still just a hole that filled with rain water while we were in Alaska and now the hurricane is coming so I guess it will be another month before I can get the liner in. I still have some digging to do but will need some dry weather to be able to get in there and muck about. The good news is that some frogs have taken up residence in the pond and there are dragon flies zipping around so all is not lost. I sometimes think nature is trying to tell me to just make it a natural pond. If fish show up I will really begin to get worried.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sadly my pond is still just a hole that filled with rain water while we were in Alaska and now the hurricane is coming so I guess it will be another month before I can get the liner in. I still have some digging to do but will need some dry weather to be able to get in there and muck about. The good news is that some frogs have taken up residence in the pond and there are dragon flies zipping around so all is not lost. I sometimes think nature is trying to tell me to just make it a natural pond. If fish show up I will really begin to get worried.
I'm still waiting for the same thing! We are done digging but can only do liner on weekends and it keeps on raining so we've been postponing...and relocating frogs to the other pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We are about to have a hurricane a will lose power.Are gas powered water pumps safe to use on a koi pond?
I have large trout ponds but, I have been pumping water out of the lower one, and into the upper one with a large gas powered pump all summer. As long as there's a strainer so no fish can get sucked up through, you should be ok.

Ask a Question