MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There have been many reports about price gouging in South east Texas and Louisiana in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, including gas, bottled water, food, etc. In our area of PA, the gasoline has risen $0.30 to $2.75 and the attendant at my station this morning told me they are expecting it to go up at least another $0.30 before the end of the weekend. There are reports from all over the US about rising gas prices because many of the refineries had to shut down. Why isn't this considered price gouging? Aren't the oil companies doing the same thing...raising prices because of a drop in production?

DIVzX-QXoAA1mrt.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
some pics are fake ,shame on people .But gas here went from 1.73 to 2.15 in just a week and some places even more .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's too bad, but there are lot's of stories about people volunteering and helping people in need. Kudos to those who have helped!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know gods pit crew here sent down 4 trailers full of blessing buckets given to people plus lots of bottled water .Which I know the bottles from it is going to cause a lot of problems .All the trah from the clean up is going to cause major problems also .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Price gauging is more of a local occurrence during a natural disaster. Gasoline prices are supply and demand. With the refineries and pipelines shut down, supply has been curtailed. About 1/3 of the total National refinery output in gasoline comes from Texas, mainly in the area hardest affected by Harvey. Of course this will affect cost to consumers,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, there may be some price issues -- but I don't believe the pictures shown. Lots of "fake" stuff going on, sadly. We are seeing a little bit here in NW Louisiana -- gas prices have gone up a little, but you have to remember that there are refineries and such that have been affected by Harvey. For the most part, everyone is pulling together and helping each other out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I understand gas prices and even people here now seem to not be in a panic about it .They are not rushing out to top off a gas tank .Not like back in the 70's when lines were forever at the gas pumps .I was lucky then my friend ran the gas station and always took care of us

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Price gauging is more of a local occurrence during a natural disaster. Gasoline prices are supply and demand. With the refineries and pipelines shut down, supply has been curtailed. About 1/3 of the total National refinery output in gasoline comes from Texas, mainly in the area hardest affected by Harvey. Of course this will affect cost to consumers,

@Meyer Jordan Thank you for your response. I guess some others missed the point of my post. It was not meant to have others post anecdotes, but to speak to gasoline price gouging. What you posted is true, and I do understand what you are saying about supply and demand, however, I do not see other products produced in SE Texas and Louisiana and other areas hit by Harvey getting raised in price just yet or as fast. Do you? At a time when most US citizens are struggling, most living from paycheck to paycheck according to a recent study, does the oil industry have to raise their prices to keep their profits high? In addition, I donated to Samaritan's Purse (https://www.samaritanspurse.org/) to help the Harvey victims. I wanted to donate more than I did, but the jump in fuel prices for the foreseeable future swayed me to only donate 2/3 of what I was going to donate. I have yet to see one news report where big oil is helping the people of Texas through this crisis. Seems, they are just keeping their profits up. If I am wrong, I welcome anyone to tell me differently. Not trying to be obstinate or combative, just seems big oil doesn't want to take less than what they always get.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is all for the pocket books of the fuel companies and without some type of control over them prices will go up so the CEO"s of the companies can get that fat end of the year bonus check .Sad we all have to pay the price .Our gas has gone up again every single day .Heard in Eden NC from a friend gas is up to 3.55 a gallon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stopped looking at gas prices long ago, I have no idea what I pay. No matter how high in price I need gas and have to pay it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MoonShadows I'm in NW Louisiana. I already noted that our gas prices have gone up a little bit, but I can promise you that the picture of that gas station with the greatly inflated prices.....not real. That's fake! The biggest problem right now is availability and being able to access the pumps due to flood waters and the inconveniences posed (like lack of power, in some cases).

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I understand all this! And, the picture may be fake. I was just using it to illustrate the gouging that goes on in a crisis. No one, except @Meyer Jordan, seems to get the point I was trying to make. Go back and read my original post. It's not about the Texans! It's about the oil companies raising prices nationwide. I understand supply and demand. I understand a shortage. What I don't understand is WHY the oil companies have to raise the gas prices across the nation to keep their profits up during this. To me, this is national price gouging at it's worst.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
like I said the CEO's need to get that fat end of the year paycheck .It all comes down to the big wigs in the companies .They control us while the wallets they carry get fatter and fatter .I understand it costs a lot for them in getting it and operating cost and paychecks to guy who work on the oil rigs and insurance ,but if they were honest they would disclose it .I also know that some of the gas stations raise the price on their own to fatten their own wallets

Ask a Question