Hurricane Harvey Price Gouging

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MoonShadows, Sep 2, 2017.

1. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

There have been many reports about price gouging in South east Texas and Louisiana in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, including gas, bottled water, food, etc. In our area of PA, the gasoline has risen $0.30 to $2.75 and the attendant at my station this morning told me they are expecting it to go up at least another $0.30 before the end of the weekend. There are reports from all over the US about rising gas prices because many of the refineries had to shut down. Why isn't this considered price gouging? Aren't the oil companies doing the same thing...raising prices because of a drop in production?

DIVzX-QXoAA1mrt.jpg

MoonShadows, Sep 2, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. MoonShadows

sissy sissy

some pics are fake ,shame on people .But gas here went from 1.73 to 2.15 in just a week and some places even more .

sissy, Sep 2, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. MoonShadows

CometKeith

That's too bad, but there are lot's of stories about people volunteering and helping people in need. Kudos to those who have helped!

CometKeith, Sep 2, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  4. MoonShadows

sissy sissy

I know gods pit crew here sent down 4 trailers full of blessing buckets given to people plus lots of bottled water .Which I know the bottles from it is going to cause a lot of problems .All the trah from the clean up is going to cause major problems also .

sissy, Sep 2, 2017
  5. MoonShadows

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Price gauging is more of a local occurrence during a natural disaster. Gasoline prices are supply and demand. With the refineries and pipelines shut down, supply has been curtailed. About 1/3 of the total National refinery output in gasoline comes from Texas, mainly in the area hardest affected by Harvey. Of course this will affect cost to consumers,

Meyer Jordan, Sep 2, 2017
  6. MoonShadows

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Yes, there may be some price issues -- but I don't believe the pictures shown. Lots of "fake" stuff going on, sadly. We are seeing a little bit here in NW Louisiana -- gas prices have gone up a little, but you have to remember that there are refineries and such that have been affected by Harvey. For the most part, everyone is pulling together and helping each other out.

Mmathis, Sep 2, 2017
  7. MoonShadows

sissy sissy

I understand gas prices and even people here now seem to not be in a panic about it .They are not rushing out to top off a gas tank .Not like back in the 70's when lines were forever at the gas pumps .I was lucky then my friend ran the gas station and always took care of us

sissy, Sep 2, 2017
    Mmathis likes this.
  8. MoonShadows

sissy sissy

HOLY CRAP sun is out :rolleyes::)

sissy, Sep 2, 2017
  9. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

@Meyer Jordan Thank you for your response. I guess some others missed the point of my post. It was not meant to have others post anecdotes, but to speak to gasoline price gouging. What you posted is true, and I do understand what you are saying about supply and demand, however, I do not see other products produced in SE Texas and Louisiana and other areas hit by Harvey getting raised in price just yet or as fast. Do you? At a time when most US citizens are struggling, most living from paycheck to paycheck according to a recent study, does the oil industry have to raise their prices to keep their profits high? In addition, I donated to Samaritan's Purse (https://www.samaritanspurse.org/) to help the Harvey victims. I wanted to donate more than I did, but the jump in fuel prices for the foreseeable future swayed me to only donate 2/3 of what I was going to donate. I have yet to see one news report where big oil is helping the people of Texas through this crisis. Seems, they are just keeping their profits up. If I am wrong, I welcome anyone to tell me differently. Not trying to be obstinate or combative, just seems big oil doesn't want to take less than what they always get.

MoonShadows, Sep 2, 2017
  10. MoonShadows

sissy sissy

It is all for the pocket books of the fuel companies and without some type of control over them prices will go up so the CEO"s of the companies can get that fat end of the year bonus check .Sad we all have to pay the price .Our gas has gone up again every single day .Heard in Eden NC from a friend gas is up to 3.55 a gallon

sissy, Sep 2, 2017
  11. MoonShadows

Nyboy

I stopped looking at gas prices long ago, I have no idea what I pay. No matter how high in price I need gas and have to pay it.

Nyboy, Sep 2, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  12. MoonShadows

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@MoonShadows I'm in NW Louisiana. I already noted that our gas prices have gone up a little bit, but I can promise you that the picture of that gas station with the greatly inflated prices.....not real. That's fake! The biggest problem right now is availability and being able to access the pumps due to flood waters and the inconveniences posed (like lack of power, in some cases).

Mmathis, Sep 2, 2017
  13. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

I understand all this! And, the picture may be fake. I was just using it to illustrate the gouging that goes on in a crisis. No one, except @Meyer Jordan, seems to get the point I was trying to make. Go back and read my original post. It's not about the Texans! It's about the oil companies raising prices nationwide. I understand supply and demand. I understand a shortage. What I don't understand is WHY the oil companies have to raise the gas prices across the nation to keep their profits up during this. To me, this is national price gouging at it's worst.

MoonShadows, Sep 3, 2017
    Mmathis likes this.
  14. MoonShadows

Gemma

I think it's sad that prices go up in a time of need!

Gemma, Sep 3, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
  15. MoonShadows

sissy sissy

like I said the CEO's need to get that fat end of the year paycheck .It all comes down to the big wigs in the companies .They control us while the wallets they carry get fatter and fatter .I understand it costs a lot for them in getting it and operating cost and paychecks to guy who work on the oil rigs and insurance ,but if they were honest they would disclose it .I also know that some of the gas stations raise the price on their own to fatten their own wallets

sissy, Sep 3, 2017
    Nyboy likes this.
  16. MoonShadows

Nyboy

Sad but true Oil Companies get away with a lot because of large amounts of money passed under the table to our politicians. Money talks

Nyboy, Sep 3, 2017
    sissy and MoonShadows like this.
  17. MoonShadows

sissy sissy

and we will walk ;)

sissy, Sep 4, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question