hydrangeas

Reaction score
Country
United States
where can i buy a hydrangea plant? i checked walmart, home depot, etc., and they either don't know what it is or they say they only get a couple of them in november. not in demand i guess.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I will second both of these. A real nursery will have no trouble getting hydrangeas in the spring and they are super easy to propagate.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mophead, PeeGee, Oakleaf, Annabelle? Treeform, shrub form? Full sun? Shade?

Don't bother with the big box outlets, look for a local grower/greenhouse.

Last edited:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We'll have hundreds of them in the spring, in dozens of varieties, but you MAY not want to drive up to Ontario for one! :rolleyes: As Morewater stated, try a local garden center.
John
Just re-read this thread, and realized you are in Miami, which may be why you can't find them. Hydrangeas do not like heat, preferring morning or evening sun, with moderate temperatures. Some of the coloured varieties with cone-shaped flower heads MAY adapt to your conditions, but stay away from the white cultivars. Also, those with thicker leaves are more heat-resistant. Try 'Pinky Winky', 'Vanilla Strawberry', 'Pink Diamond', 'Limelight' or 'Little Lime'. They may wilt during the day, but usually recover overnight. LOTS of water helps!
John (with assists from the 'plant manager')

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
realized you are in Miami, which may be why you can't find them. Hydrangeas do not like heat, preferring morning or evening sun, with moderate temperatures

Good catch. Even in our more moderate summer heat, hydrangeas suffer until they get well-established. We planted in two separate beds and had to water twice daily in the heat for the first two summers. Last year they finally seemed to be settled in.

Ask a Question