I Brought My Favorites Inside for the Winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
All 3 fish came from an estate sale last spring. The pond was about 7' wide and 18" deep, absolutely choked with water lilies. I'm amazed the fish survived the winter in it! The prior winter we had a lot of -5 to -20 weather and 30" of snow. There was one more subbie, it disappeared shortly after I put it in our pond. It was similar, but had more deep blue color. I was bummed!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your fish are beautiful, they will be really awesome as they grow.

I'm sure you already know this but 30 gallons for three goldfish is kinda small. Feed sparingly and keep up on the water changes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Spare feeding and water changes, yes. I've had aquariums for since I was in 6th grade and shortly I'll be 66, so have a bit of experience!

The greenhouse will be fairly cool all winter, likely upper 30s to mid 50s most the time, good for cold weather crops, so the fish won't need a lot of feed. It sure will be nice to have fresh salad greens. We may make a small area that's warmer and has supplemental lighting for tomatoes.

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
The good karma is evident in all your pictures, and digging the green house deep down
seems like a great idea. But allow me one correction - in my humble opinion you are
just 65 - you will be 66 only after your birthday, no sense jumping ahead of yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
But allow me one correction - in my humble opinion you are
just 65 - you will be 66 only after your birthday, no sense jumping ahead of yourself.

Yeah, it's official now, I turned 66 yesterday. It was a day of sixes, when I got up the house temperature was 66.6, then when I shipped an item at the Post Office, the the total came to $6.66, strange day!

This morning is a chilly one, only 15.9 at 5am, there'll be ice on the pond and waterfall.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-11-18_10-52-1.gif
@Stephen T.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I did buy myself a birthday present, with the wife's approval. We found it at a yard sale (no surprise).

sailboat1.jpg

It's a Kingfisher, set up to row or sail, only 8' long. It will be perfect on the lake next summer!

Ask a Question