I Brought My Favorites Inside for the Winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
That was challenging! I ended up draining my lower pond (1000 gallons) most the way down to catch 2 of my favorite fish. I used an extra pump to move the water into every container I could find, 4 20 gallon tubs, 2 100 gallon preforms and a kids rigid swimming pool, along with various other containers. The catching then went amazingly easy, in spite of the thick clump of plants on the bottom!

Next, I pumped most the water from the upper pond (500 gallons) down into the lower pond and managed to catch all 4 fish in it. Three I gave away to a friend, one I kept.

All 3 have bodies about 4-5" long, not including the tails. They will be spending the winter in the greenhouse in a 30 gallon aquarium with an air pump and filter.

I then syphoned the water back into the lower pond from the tubs and started the main pump again. The rest of the fish will spend winter in the larger pond with a pond breather installed.

I grabbed a couple shots of the two Comets and the Shubunkin installed in the aquarium.

shubunkin_7582.jpg
comets 1-2_7579.jpg

They are so attractive, I'm tempted to bring them into my 40 gallon tank in the house. Whatever I do, I want them to survive the winter!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very pretty and heck why not bring them in and enjoy them all winter long!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I have the 40 gallon tank in the house with my school (herd, flock?) of 13 bronze corydorus catfish. Somehow, school of catfish just doesn't sound right! I've kept corydorus and goldfish in the same tank in the past, however, I don't want to introduce any diseases to my cats! The pond has had quite a few plants put in from Agency Lake, so who knows what parasites these fish might harbor.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess you will just have to break down and set up their own tank. Ah come on you know you would love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Another tank? RIGHT, we downsized to a 750 square foot home about 5 years ago and it's crammed! The only way would be able to fit it would be to get rid of a lot of books, and "It Ain't Gonna Happen"!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
750 sq feet! I admire you! And I'm with you on the books - there's not much I care about from a material point of view, but I don't part easily with my books!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then I guess you will be spending some quality time in the green house w/the fish kids while reading a book :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very pretty fish. I have a similar sarasa to yours I bought 8 years ago and it is a really beautiful fish. My fish stay outside all winter, but if I had room for them it would be fun to see them more often.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The sauna is on the back half of the greenhouse and the fish will give us something to watch in cool off periods!

A little off-topic, but do you have pics of your combo greenhouse/sauna @Stephen T. I would love to see them.

I'm not a big Shubunkin fan, but I admire those two comets. I haven't quite made up my mind what I am going to do with my 8 comets for the winter. Do I take a chance leaving them in our 425 gallon raised pond; put them in a holding tank in our greenhouse or basement; or, buy a larger aquarium and bring them inside. (???) I still have some time to decide, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
We live in an area with cold winters, so I dug the greenhouse and sauna 42" into the ground and used the dirt to build up the stream so that at the upper area it's about 4' above the lower pond. The greenhouse, facing south, is about 10x13 inside and the sauna is about 6 1/2' square inside. There's also an entry way and steps down. We have enough cedar shakes to finish the roof and back wall, so it will have a nice rustic appearance when we are done.

98_7584 sauna look sw.jpg

This is looking SW, the pond is just beyond the greenhouse.

99_7585sauna look ne.jpg

Looking NE across the "picnic" area, showing the greenhouse.

Steve

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice set up! Love the subbie! great colors.

Ask a Question