Brought a fish indoors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have one little fantail in the pond who overwintered last year just fine, no issues. We had a brutal winter last year with the arctic cold. About 2 weeks ago I notice my fantail foraging on the bottom as always head down, tail up, but occasionally
flipping over and turning upside down. He would right himself and continue foraging as if nothing happened. I decided he must be having some swim bladder issues. I debated for a couple days and decided that if that continued, he may not survive another 6 weeks of winter. So I set up my half barrel insert in the basement. Hauled in a few 5 gal buckets of pond water and let it slowly warm up. Just had an aerator for oxygen.
Our basement is only semi finished and we keep it cool so water temp is running about 58F.
I'm happy to report is is back to his ol self and doing well.
I'm sure this was stressful for him but I feared he would not survive the rest of winter. I ended up going out and scooping up one of last summers babies to give him a buddy. That made him much happier. I am feeding once daily and both are eating well.
I know most don't keep fantails in their pond for this very reason but I already have him and will return him to the pond when the temps warm up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We do have a few fantails - they started in our patio pond and ended up in the big pond for the winter. How in the heck did you catch not one, but TWO? Ours end up staying in the pond and we get new ones for the patio pond every year because there's just no way they are coming out without a fight!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I also have 1 or 2 fantails in my pond they seam to winter fine but then again we are quite lucky with
winter temperatures last year the fish were in a pond of only 2 feet deep was a bit worried but this year they are in the new deep pond so all is cool pleased to hear about you fish, At the moment i have a small koi in an aquarium in the living room with what i think is swim bladder but i dont think he's going to pull through
2015-02-07 11.23.19.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
lol can come and catch my kohku giving me the right run around i go 1 side of the pond he gose the other i go to the foot of the pond he gose to the other, thinking of getting a small dingy and catching it from above, ill catch the bugger 1 day just you see!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
lol geez I guess its cold enough that my fishies are moving slow enough and I had no problem. However it would be a different story if they were on to me and the water was a lot warmer. :) I have had the net in there enough scooping out stray leaves that they don't get too freaked out about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
lol can come and catch my kohku giving me the right run around i go 1 side of the pond he gose the other i go to the foot of the pond he gose to the other, thinking of getting a small dingy and catching it from above, ill catch the bugger 1 day just you see!!
Your best option is to use two nets, with one person one gently herding him into your other net, which should then bring him up to the surface without touching him...
Once up there just support him in the water again without touching him other wise he'll be off over your shoulder, then if you have a sock net on hand scoope him out with that Slick head first not tail first :happy:

hope this helps

Dave

Reaction score
I have about 4 or 5 fantails. I love them. I had more but the heron got them. They have no problem competing for food against the koi. In fact one of my fantails is always the FIRST to make it up for food. Kind of funny actually, without fail, he/she has the first bite.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Survival of the fittest! your fantail must be the fittest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I still think fancies should be in tanks not ponds "especially fan tails" in the winter months but you guys know the toughest ones to put into a pond
not I .
But keep him indoors until the spring is over so that you can keep an eye on him besides the shock of going back into the pond now would most probably kill him .
You did right getting a buddy for him at this time as he is happy best of luck in the spring but make sure to match indoor temperatures with that of the pond prior to him going back in :cool:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sorry about your koi Slick. Hope he pulls through.
I still think fancies should be in tanks not ponds "especially fan tails" in the winter months but you guys know the toughest ones to put into a pond
not I .
But keep him indoors until the spring is over so that you can keep an eye on him besides the shock of going back into the pond now would most probably kill him .
You did right getting a buddy for him at this time as he is happy best of luck in the spring but make sure to match indoor temperatures with that of the pond prior to him going back in :cool:

Dave
Thanks Dave, yes will have to watch temps and return him to the pond when they are close. I will be as careful as I can.
001.JPG

002.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 Thank you for all your tips, all taken on board.
It takes a bit of practice because koi learn what the net is all about and do their very best to aviod it, but done correctly Slick it can be a stress free experiance for them, the first one I tried to catch ..
I just touched his tail with the 22" pancake net at the surface , the next thing you know he was over my shoulder landing in he grass .
If you get into showing avioding stress is a must , you do the same with them catching them from the show Vat .

Dave

Ask a Question