I have a problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Besides having a attention span of a Guppy.

I need to be able to control a 2" pvc ball valve 3-4 feet deep to prevent freezing. (Main pond drain).

Brass, cast iron. Bronze are out of the question. They range from $800-1000 + for the valve alone. with all the hardware to attach said valves is priced out of my reach.

Electric controller was an option but every ball valve I have in the system is near impossible to turn with out using water pump pliers.

Any help or advice in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Are you talking about reaching down far enough to be able to manually turn it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I made this. Works great. I would still hesitate to place a pvc valve anywhere it's really difficult to maintain. They tend to stick and then the handles break when you turn them too hard. A tool like that minimizes the risk, though, due to the ergonomics of how it grips the valve handle.

Plan to exercise the valve quarterly or so. The handles are also replaceable, but might be a tough to do 4' down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love this saying!
MADE ME CHUCKLE AS WELL
I need this valve below the frost line. it will have static water pressure on one side and 30' of drain pipe one the other
A ball valve in most cases in the pond is more to regulate the flow to an area. if you really want to have one that deep which is what in your area? 30" or is it 24" if 24 install a 6 inch pvc that will fit over that handle is one way to go. don't by a cheap ball valve especially red handles. MOST BALL VALVES IN SCHEDULE 80 ARE FAR SUPERIOR TO SCHEDULE 40 . THERE ARE ALSO BALL VALVES THAT THE HANDLE IS MADE TO COME OFF SO AN EXTENTION LIKE YOUR TALKING CAN BE USED INSTEAD. sorry for caps this gaming keyboard is rough. Best option in my book is to work it out where its not needed at that point. shut the pumps off and open all that you can give the ice somewhere to expand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I
MADE ME CHUCKLE AS WELL

A ball valve in most cases in the pond is more to regulate the flow to an area. if you really want to have one that deep which is what in your area? 30" or is it 24" if 24 install a 6 inch pvc that will fit over that handle is one way to go. don't by a cheap ball valve especially red handles. MOST BALL VALVES IN SCHEDULE 80 ARE FAR SUPERIOR TO SCHEDULE 40 . THERE ARE ALSO BALL VALVES THAT THE HANDLE IS MADE TO COME OFF SO AN EXTENTION LIKE YOUR TALKING CAN BE USED INSTEAD. sorry for caps this gaming keyboard is rough. Best option in my book is to work it out where its not needed at that point. shut the pumps off and open all that you can give the ice somewhere to expand.
I tried to fine something exactly like this. my biggest down fall on research is how I word things. I knew it had to exist.
I did some reading on what you have suggested and this seems like the best way to go.

I owe you one Budd. since you don't drink coffee maybe someday when I have earned your trust we can share a bottle and sit and ogle over your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ONLY PART OF JERSEY I'D WANT TO BE IN IS THE DELAWARE GAP AREA IF YOUR NORTH WEST YOU MUST BE IN THE AREA

Ask a Question