I left my garden hose on!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My biggest nightmare came true! Left my tap water hose on for about 4-5 hours in a 2,500-gallon koi pond. Just came home and found two dead and the rest gasping. I threw in a detoxifier immediately and agitated as much water as I could. I threw in protect from aquascape which helps with their slime coat. I retested the water and chlorine is at zero now. I know the damage is done. Is there anything else I can do to give these guys a chance? I have plenty of aeration going already.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nothing else you can do- This happens to so many people! We have extreme chlorine levels in our water so I set my kitchen timer as well as the timer on my cell phone. You can also get a timer to put on your hose that will shut it off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nothing else you can do- This happens to so many people! We have extreme chlorine levels in our water so I set my kitchen timer as well as the timer on my cell phone. You can also get a timer to put on your hose that will shut it off.
I always use my phone timer. I did not have my phone with me and went in to get it and got distracted with something else. I am so upset.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely getting a hose timer if I can find one and if any of them make it. So far only two have died but 4 of my big ones are hurting. Don't think they will make it. The smaller ones seem in better shape.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One thing that might help…..in the future….is a canister filter thing that screws onto the end of the hose. I get one that neutralizes chlorine and chloramines (both are in my city water).

Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing that might help…..in the future….is a canister filter thing that screws onto the end of the hose. I get one that neutralizes chlorine and chloramines (both are in my city water).
I was not sure those work well. Can you tell me which one you recommend?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The box stores sell a screw on water timer. you press manual and add how many minutes for it to run and it shuts it's self off. i'd also consider checking your ph kh and gh

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was not sure those work well. Can you tell me which one you recommend?
I ordered mine from Amazon. I’ll see if I can find it.

24A8DED4-1B8C-4A6E-A060-4A6578444B17.jpeg
47F60A6B-3771-4F6C-811B-A17F542676E3.png

Last edited:

Ask a Question