HELP - I left my hose in the pond overnight (24 hours!)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a fish pond and left the sprinkler in the pond for 24 hours. The fish didn't come out of the pond but they are really freaked out. This was 2 days ago. Yesterday when I discovered this, I purchased Conditioner for the pond and added to the pump area. Please note that I have well water, so there is no chlorine in the water. The fish are still swimming around but still not the same - they won't eat and keep hiding. What else should I do.

It is a small pond (10' x 4' x 2') - has approx 35 small fish (I like to call them koi but they are probably gold fish), although I have had them for the past 12 years and never purchased any additional.

Thank you!

Karen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have a water test kit? I would check the water, but just keep a close eye on the fish.

Welcome, BTW.
Thank you - I don't have a water kit, but can see if Home Depot has one. I never actually used one before.. I will keep a close eye on the fish - so worried about them! Thank you for getting back to me!

Karen

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you - I don't have a water kit, but can see if Home Depot has one. I never actually used one before.. I will keep a close eye on the fish - so worried about them! Thank you for getting back to me!

Karen
Your best bet at finding a test kit will be a pet store. Do you have a PetCo or a Petsmart [or similar] near you? Home Depot [unless yours is different from ours] would probably only sell pool testing supplies.

When you get your kit, we recommend that you get a "liquid" test kit rather than the strips. Strips are easy and OK in a pinch, but tend to not be as accurate/dependable. Most of us use API brand, Master kit. Just follow the directions that come with it. The first few times, if you'll post the results here, we'll help you interpret them. And always report the results as the actual NUMBERS and don't say that they were "normal," or "OK." You'll want to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH [at the very least]. You will have to get a separate kit for the KH test, as it doesn't come included in the kits [but it sure ought to....!].

And just keep a close eye on the fish. They'll probably be OK.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true your well water is usually a lot colder than your pond water will be .Yep pet stores for a liquid test kit API is the one most use .You also need a thermometer in your pond you can pick up a swimming pool one .I find the numbers on the swimming pool ones are bigger and much easier to read than the pond ones .

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry at all about them. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. If it is the cold water or anything else in the water you are limited to changing the water and where will that get you... more of the same. Depending on where you live the summer season is over and fish (at least mine) are starting to act differently. Mine are not eating much any more and don't come to the surface.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The fact they survived and stayed in the pond is a good thing but naturally well water is what I have too and it is usually chock full of things we don't notice but the fish do so maybe do the test kit idea but I think you might have simply "restarted" your pond unintentionally and added minerals and sulfer and I am unaware of that showing up in a test kit. When I do water changes I remove my bio filter and fill the pond half full and let the bio filter run that amount for 3 or four days before filling it the rest of the way up so as to not shock the bacteria itself.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Such an easy mistake to make. I think we have all forgotten it, whether just a few minutes or a lot longer. I think @peter hillman may be onto something. Possibly just a shock to their system and they should get used to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

Karen
Hi Karen we recomend the API pond master tests kit andd a seperate API nitrates test , do not buy test strips they are wholey inaccurate cut back on any food and give them a few days to get aclimatized to the new pond water .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Karen we recomend the API pond master tests kit andd a seperate API nitrates test , do not buy test strips they are wholey inaccurate cut back on any food and give them a few days to get aclimatized to the new pond water .

Dave
Thank you all again for your support! I purchased the only pond water kit that PetSmart had, which was the API Pond Master Test Kit (think that is what you recommended). My results are as follows:

Ph - 7.0-7.5 (hard to tell with the color chart that I had to pick from but more towards the 7.0
Ammonia - .25
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - .25

Recommendations on how I should interpret the results?

Today the fish ate food in the morning! And they are all still swimming around. BTW - I live in New Jersey, so the water is getting a little colder with the nights.

Thanks again!
Karen

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. I do this several times a year (sadly). I have small kids and a bad memory. My fish are always fine. I hope yours are too.

I need to learn to set a timer, but I ALWAYS think I will remember and never do.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may also want to use you water test kit to test your well water to see what it tests at .If you put that much water in I don't understand why your ammonia levels and phosphate are that high .They must have been higher before you added water .I would also buy a water timer for your hose .This way you will not have to worry about doing it again .I have one and they start at about 20 dollars at lowes or home depot .

Ask a Question