I think I found my problems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Now hopefully someone might have an answer to my issue.

Sorry a bit long winded but wanted to give all the info. ..

1st my little water feature isn't a pond per say. ..I'm located central Indy... it's 55 gallons that goes to a veggie filter that flows back into the pond. ..it's probably 75 gallons max with 24 inches being the deepest part. I have mutiple plants and no fish yet this year ( they are still in the tank in the garage) was getting ready to bring them out but ran into my issue. Boom the last few weeks String algae like crazy. ..2nd year of my pond no issues with algae last year and that was with fish and less plants. ..this year started good but the last few weeks it seems it has exploded out of control. I have brushed it out on numerous occasions. ..like every other day. .. I have more plants than last year. ..pickerl weed...blue rush and some other grass ..all three of these overwintered and returned this year. ..I have added one water lettuce and 2 two water hyacinths. The veggie filter has rush tail some wild mint, couple pitcher pants, and two other marginals (can't recall their name now). I think the problem I finally discovered. .I have two ducks that have been coming and sitting in my pond. ..guessing they are not the cleanest and spiking the nutrients in the pond causing the algae burst ..should I spike it with peroxide or try some phous out? Try to move the ducks along? Any other thoughts?

I'll try to add some pics. ..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yep, blame the ducks. They seem to get a bum rap though.
If you can pull out the hair algae, then do that and put it in a garden if you have one.
Have you tested for phosphate at all?
Sounds like a nice setup.
Do you remove dead plants or their parts before the have a chance to decompose?
Do you have any other filtration?
What do you have for water circulation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I pull it out and throw it in the compost bin. .I did remove as much as I could of the pickerl weed the rest was above ground and never really died off..a few leaves did get in but I tried to pull them out ASAP. Filtration is only scrubbies under the gravel in the veggie filter. .. circulation in the pond is the pump. .it has two ends one circulates the other pulls for the veggie filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Here are a few pics of my set up and new friends. .see the female sitting in her new hot tub. .. lol

Attachments

• 20150510_175932_zpssyeixfpc.jpg
    20150510_175932_zpssyeixfpc.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 20150510_180130_zpsjadjqrcr_2.jpg
    20150510_180130_zpsjadjqrcr_2.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 20150608_065206.jpg
    20150608_065206.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 271
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Nice little setup.
One well aimed poop from the duck will throw off your whole system though...:)

The potted plants you have, did they come in fertilized soil? That fertilizer could be feeding the algae.
Maybe consider repotting the plants in a different medium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
20150522_132629_zpsdxh73xqm.jpg
Also I think something else adding to my nitrate levels the birds love my top water veggie filter bog as a bird bath. .. at least once a day I see cardinals or Robins bathing in it. .it's fun to watch and I built it for me and nature so really wouldn't want it any other way. ..here is a photo I took last week with another buddy of mine hanging by the tub. ..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you. ..The plants were bought from a local nursery but I removed and placed in larger containers in vercumilite and peat moss...so maybe that's the ticket as well. ..Didn't even think of that. ..they are only 1/3 in the water but enough to keep moist but crowns dry. Guess they could be feeding it as well. ..thanks for the replies and brainstorming.

Ask a Question