I'm maintening my 1500 gal koi pond built with a liner, 15 yrs old

Reaction score
I am having a problem with the koi pond my son built 15 years ago on Earth Day. The water in the filtration barrel is going out ot the top of the barrel instead of through the uv stelizer and out to the pond! I can call for service but I like to figure it out for myself. Maybe the UV stelizer got clogged? I would appreciate any ideas you might suggest for me? I have beautiful plants and will post a photo soon! Thanks for having the great forum! Jackie

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure why it would be going out the sterilizer unless it is pressurized filter and yep pics would help of the filter .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pictures would help, but.... it sounds like this is your big issue...
if you've got an open top DIY barrel filter. its likely gravity return. the U.V should be plumbed on the filters intake line not the output. plumbing should be : PUMP→U.V→FILTER→RETURN TO POND ... the return isnt under pressure so the resistance from the u.v HINDERS the flow. the water backing up has nowhere else to go but over the barrel top,.
with a pressurized filter, you can,and should plumb the u.v on the output line. PUMP→FILTER→U.V→RETURN TO POND

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wonder how long ago the uv was checked bulb could be old and not working and algae clogged it up .Does this uv run all the time and is it also 15 years old .I have also seen self made uv's that just sit in the tank in a sleeve .Never had one in my pond so no clue even how they are plumbed .Gos even broken roots of plants or just the live roots can clog an outlet .Is the outlet flow rate low .I have even seen pipes clog especially the clear hoses .I had a dead frog in my outlet well actually large toad .There could be so many things since it has run for 15 years fine .Koi ripp roots off plants and then the clog pipes even lots of tadpoles will clog a pipe if it has built up stuff in it and elbows to help it clog faster .

Reaction score
I finally fiqured out how to attach my pic! The sterilzer is less than 1 year old. The water goes out the top of the green filter barrel intead of through the sterilzer. Thanks for allowing me to join your group. I love it already. Still learning Windows 8! Thanks, Jackie IMG_0113.JPG

Reaction score
This is a great day! I think I fixed it already thanks to Sissy! I took 1 clamp off to the uv sterilzer from the green barrel (filter tank?) it was filled with so much muc! I love my koi pond and I'm thankful for all I have learned over the years because keeping the koi pond going gives me hope my son will want to get help for himself! Thanks so much! I love this site! It is so much for fun to try to fix it myself then to hire someone! Jackie

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you do have this set up plumbed wrong. the U.V should be on the inlet. you running a TetraPond graity (trickle) flow biofilter. your pump should go to the U.V then to the filter. your really limiting the flow rate possibilities. this is right from tetrapond...
Pond Filters and Green Water Problems
Green water is caused by tiny single-celled algae. The foam in pond filters alone will not remove live algae, since they easily pass through. We recommend the addition of the TetraPond UV Clarifier to destroy the algae. The algae will die, clump and then be removed by filtration. The UV Clarifier should be positioned between the pump and the filter. If you place it on the filter discharge, you run the risk of restricting to flow out of the filter, thus causing overflow.
link:http://www.tetra-fish.com/pond/prod...~/media/C9F1163B30F54C098FCCE16D097041E1.ashx
you should consider a prefilter as well...this traps debris before the hit the pump...

Ask a Question