Hello, I'm new to this forum, glad to be here.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a koi pond for a couple of years now. The other day I noticed two of the fish were scraping on the bottom of the pond, a sign I've always taken as an indication of a parasite infestation. However, the water temp is just above freezing, and I have an 11watt UV lamp in my filter. The water is clear and is a quarter decanted every month. I have just bought some anti-parasite treatment (not used yet) but my local aquarist tells me that the treatment is ineffective at low temperatures and that parasites are unlikely in such cold water. Does anyone have any experience with pond parasites? Any advice would be gratefully received, thank you. (I have included a picture of the tail of one of my koi with what appear to be white spots.)

Attachments

• 20180222_120522.jpg
    20180222_120522.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 324

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and outside temps are not what to think about ,you need water temps .Do you have a liquid test kit

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum. I don't have koi, but there are a lot here that keep them. They will help you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That does look like koi pox - @Dave 54 will pop in here and confirm. If that's the case, no treatment is necessary - it's not deadly, just unsightly.

Welcome to the GPF!

Ask a Question