Important Tip for DIY Bog Builders

Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question, but when using these vertical clear-out pipe, you stick a hose pipe into one vertical pipe which adds water, but then where does that water get out? Do you disconnect the other end from the pump, or is the incoming water blowing the debris out through the holes/slots cut into the pipe under the bog? Or perhaps it shoots up out of a second vertical clear-out pipe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry for the dumb question, but when using these vertical clear-out pipe, you stick a hose pipe into one vertical pipe which adds water, but then where does that water get out? Do you disconnect the other end from the pump, or is the incoming water blowing the debris out through the holes/slots cut into the pipe under the bog? Or perhaps it shoots up out of a second vertical clear-out pipe?

I think most people simply open the vertical pipe and let their pump force any debris in the pipe up and out.

If you're talking about an aquascape style bog, then the cleanout pipe is very big and you drop a pump down into it and pump water out after backflushing the gravel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I JUST OPEN THE VERTICAL END CAP and let the pump, pump the water thru the lines to clean them out
Same here.

I turn the pump off, open the cap and shove a scrap piece of 1-1/2"pvc into the 2" stack so I can aim the water away from the bog.

Then turn the pump back on and watch the black water shoot out for about 3 seconds and when it turns clear I turn the pump back off. I screw the cap back on and turn the pump back on. Don't try to screw the cap on with the pump running! I tried that once! o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I guess I got fancy. The top of my vertical has a screw on/in end cap. I turn off the pump, screw off the end cap, screw on a spa hose and direct the black water elsewhere in the yard. None of this scrap PVC! (I made a decorative 4" diameter 18" tall cover, too.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I guess I got fancy. The top of my vertical has a screw on/in end cap. I turn off the pump, screw off the end cap, screw on a spa hose and direct the black water elsewhere in the yard. None of this scrap PVC! (I made a decorative 4" diameter 18" tall cover, too.)
Yeah, I've been doing it the primitive way and kept saying to myself I should do something like you are doing.
I even thought about adding a permanent pipe from the clean-out stacks to the garden with a valve on it for simplicity. Just open the valve.
But I keep procrastinating...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't even add a clean out to my little peastone bog. I figured I'd be ripping it apart and working in a waterfall or some white water rafting by the ti.e it ever started to clog.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never clean mine either, no clean out pipes etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am at the big day!!! waking up at 6 am and and hoping to be breaking ground on my new 30x40 pond rented an excavator to dig it out
I am looking for ideas or things I have not thought of. I am going to dig a bog filter for it bog is going to be almost as big as the pond it seems. I will be using 2" hose flexable pvc to go from the skimmer to the bog I am using a aquascape 1000 skimmer and there will be 2 variable speed pumps the other one will go to the waterfall each pump is a Jebao 10000L/hr no bottom drains I will have small river rock that is tumbled to make them easy to step on

Dale

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
30 x40 is a large pond and depending on how you plan to have a finished product can be no big deal to work with an excavator or it can be a challenge as you will not be able to reach aqll the way across the pond but only reaching half way. if you have access on all four sides then its relatively easy . but if limited it can become quite the balancing act.

Good luck with the pond. i'd guess your doing a soup bowl shaped pond bald liner and a shelf at the surface for your edge boulders? or are you rocking the entire pond?

below i have a link to my show case it has a section with all kinds of ideas and possibilities that may arise on your adventure

Ask a Question