Inaba Shidare Japanese Maple Beside Waterfall Stream?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another query regarding landscaping a newly built pondless waterfall:

I've already purchased the above Japanese maple, but am now second guessing my decision. I was planning on placing a small-ish Japanese maple somewhere around my main spillway, and have it grow out and over. I'm sure the "look" of that will be on point...BUT, now I'm not sure about:

1- Will the root system of this variety "inaba shidare" be a problem ?

2- Online searches now inform me that this variety can reach a fairly large size, larger than I was planning perhaps. Does anyone know if I can prune this to keep it smaller?, maybe 4' high by 5 or 6' wide? (this one grows wider than taller).

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think you will be fine. I saw that it is also a good tree for a patio or container, so that would mean the roots would be constrained. The max height and width are for a ten year old tree, you could keep it trim so it does not meet its max. Looks like a nice tree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you will be fine. I saw that it is also a good tree for a patio or container, so that would mean the roots would be constrained. The max height and width are for a ten year old tree, you could keep it trim so it does not meet its max. Looks like a nice tree.
Yep, that was my conclusion. Was just looking for reassurance. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaGrapeStables

Latest Threads