addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those type tubs do crack ,I know I have 3 of them and only 1 has not cracked .
Mine haven't but they were in a big tub in the water with lotus plants in them. Maybe small stock tanks would be better.
Or a heavy duty garbage can
Good point Sissy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmmm, shame about the tubs, the size is perfect. I made my moth trap out of one 15 yr ago and it's still fine, but maybe they don't make them like they used to :). Many many thanks for all the helpful responses, will go study and plan. I must remember to add some evergreens in between so it's not too bare in the winter :). Will stick in some pics over the w/e.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put a lot of evergreens in, low growing junipers, (which the deer groom for me every winter) different bushes trees, makes it nice during the winter. You can see where the deer cleared off the snow to get to the plants.

DSC07779.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
That's really good, you'd never know there are a lot of water features hidden below that snow. Where I live (just south of London, UK), we get snow for a few days every year, but being in a valley we do get quite hard frosts. We live in the most wooded county in the UK and lots of deer try and get in the garden. We manage to keep them out although the gate is often left open by the kids so no doubt there is a secret visitor at night :).

Anyhow these are some 5yr old images of my pond build when it all started, when I replaced the butyl liner with fibreglass jobs. I'll update it with what it looks like now - some of the ideas were successful and some not so.

1gate.jpg

The gate at the front - the kids were small then and we didn't think they should go swimming :).

2emma.jpg

My daughter Emma's pond, for amphibians. The giant Hosta on the right, it's lovely.

3bench.jpg

View over Emma's pond from the other side, towards what remained at the time of the butyl lining.

4butyl.jpg

Clearing the butyl away. First pond at this house, too shallow, badly filtered etc

5wall.jpg

The retaining wall behind the pond area. We had a car pad built at the top and the excess soil was
put behind this retaining wall and a pond built. Great use of space but the soil is clay and pretty poor,
so grass has always been a problem. So time to stop the problem and do something else now.

6bigpond.jpg

The new pond I put in, 3500l fibreglass.

82ponds.jpg

Both in

9wholepatch.jpg

Different angle. This shows the path I'm taking out and replacing with a stream + tubs (on the
bottom right). The path in will instead be through the side of where that bench is - the fencing
there is gone now.

10jetty.jpg

The grass jetty at the front. Didn't work, now a circular slab. But shows the aeration I have going,
Which has been a complete godsend and looks nice too :)

11across.jpg

Looking across after cosmetics put in. I love ferns and upside down tree roots.
Low evergreen at back, works real well to hide edge.

13small.jpg

Emma's frogpond with a bit of planting.

14small.jpg

Different angle - I still have those carnivorous plants and want to put them in their own special tub now :)

15bog.jpg

The bog garden to the left of the main pond. When it overflows it goes into the bog garden.
Lined at the bottom with all the old butyl.

16tree.jpg

An upturned root at the pond gate. Because I like it. Red Cordelia failed.

17rocks.jpg

Looking back across. Annoyingly those little groundcover creepers never amounted to much,
my fault as they didn't get enough water.

18atstart.jpg

Looking back across - with bucket of watercress in front to bind nitrites.

19lookingdown.jpg

Looking down at the lillies I had then, which never liked the moving water so failed.

All in all this is a small corner of the garden, I'd say about 6x6m, and was on a slope when we
moved here almost 20yr ago. But it's now the nicest part of the garden (well I would say that
although she who must be obeyed would probably disagree) and does show what you can cram
into a small space. Small has the advantage that the costs aren't as astronomical so I've used
good stuff generally. For example it's a 3500l pond but has filtration for 6000l.

But obviously this was 5 years ago, I'll update it with now shots at the weekend after I finish
some of the other chores than need doing :).

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pictorial! and changes. Love the roots, I have a few of those around my ponds.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Best place to find sturdy stuff is a farm supply store .I bought tuff tubs and they are like a hard rubber and come in lots of sizes .I bought them at tractor supply here when the had 25 % off .I have even seen them on ebay

Ask a Question