Infections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
After building my new pond last year with a bog filter thanks to Addy’s great thread!!! This year I’ve lost about 6 small koi to fungus and fin rot. It may be through introduction of these new fish without quarantine. However, I’ve treated with Acriflavin and Malachite with some degree of success but one or two are showing signs of infection. Question is will a bog potentially produce bad bacteria leading to disease? All my parameters are spot on no spikes just level apart from Phosphate which is a little high from the tap.
It’s really sad to see this happening as some of my older fish have also perished!
Would appreciate some input.
Pond is 2200 gallons 10 fish left 4 of which are small koi. Rest are goldfish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My guess would be the new fish you added. If your bog is running it won't be making bad bacteria. I turn mine off every winter, it sits for around 4-5 months without running. If any bad bacteria was to be created it would happen then. I turn it on in the spring, zero fish loss, ie nothing coming out of the bog that harms any fish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My guess would be the new fish you added. If your bog is running it won't be making bad bacteria. I turn mine off every winter, it sits for around 4-5 months without running. If any bad bacteria was to be created it would happen then. I turn it on in the spring, zero fish loss, ie nothing coming out of the bog that harms any fish.
You are most likely correct in that the new fish introduced were infected.
We have had a very long hot summer here in the UK and many have had problems.
For what reason exactly do you turn the bog off in the winter please?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For what reason exactly do you turn the bog off in the winter please?
My pump is external, my bog is huge. I don't want to worry about ice dams etc. Also that much surface area really cools the pond water, like running water over ice when the air is cold.

With the external pump I don't want it running then have a power out which would equal a dead pump. The water would freeze up and crack the pump and lines. AND most of all I like the no running water off time. The fish all hang down low in the pond, come back up in the spring. Fat and happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WarnerBirm

Latest Threads