Inherited a Large Koi/Goldfish Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings all,

My Wife and I just closed on our first home, and it has a rather large Koi pond in the back yard. Pond is about 20 ft long x 8 feet wide and currently is about 3.5 ft deep, but has room for more water. lots of plant growth around the edges and even in the water (lilies). there are between 60-70 fish and one turtle.

pond has two sump well water falls at either end.

i am completely new to pond owner ship but i am trying to hit the ground running. i have already had to make repairs to the system because of broken pipes. next step is to replace the UV clarifer because the old one died. (i was just going to get a new bulb but the plastic housing has started to break down.)

Any way, i look forward to learning from everyone.

Thanks,

David

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome .I may be a dummy but what is a sump pump well water fall .Are they using sump pumps because they are not made to run 24/7 .OIr are they using sump pump vaults .I bought my u.v.s off of ebay at topdog seller less than 35 dollars for an 18 watt and it came with an extra bulb and also bought extra bulbs from cll pets 2 for less than 6 dollars ,free shipping also

Reaction score
Country
United States
20151011_100955_Bentwood Dr.jpg
20151011_100855_Bentwood Dr.jpg
20151011_100902_Bentwood Dr.jpg
20151011_101014_Bentwood Dr.jpg
20151018_124614_Bentwood Dr.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok sorry for the delay, but above are some pictures of our Pond. I also included a picture of one of the pumps, because i climbed in the other day to pull it up and look at it.

I bought a clarifier online that should be arriving today. (Although our water isn't really green it is more of a brown color.) after reading some of the other posts here i am wondering if it might be just floating debri? I think I may try using the some quilting pad to help filter it out a little more.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh i think i should also stat the the picture above of the waterfall sump (not sure if that is the right term) was the one on the right side of the pond. when we moved in the owner told us we had to clean it out before we could run it or it would kill the fish, The picture was the before picture, and let me just say for the record it was pretty disgusting. also i am annoyed at the previous owner for not telling us that the water line to it was broken or that the clarifier also didn't work. (Honestly i am more annoyed at myself for not learning more prior to purchase: hindsight....)

We are lucky though because we have a Pond supply store about 20 miles away called Water Garden Gems. We stopped by and talked to the owner and he was super helpful in giving us a quick crash course.

We are currently adding some live enzymes to the water weekly to help deal with the muck issue.

After climbing in last week i am thinking about climbing in again and removing some large rocks i learned are on the bottom of the pond. Does anyone have any thoughts on rocks on the bottom of the pond? some of my preliminary reading suggests that it is bad and encourages foulness.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The muck will need to come out, I bought a net for my pond to net out most of the debris and muck. I'm not familiar with using enzymes to deal with a muck issue but I would assume that even if it kills the muck, it will still end up on the bottom of the pond possibly causing an algae bloom. It has to come out.
You'll find the rock bottom a divided issue, some love it some hate it. I chose not to have any in my pond just for ease of netting, others have found ways to keep the bottom clean with rocks in. Where are you in the US? Your backyard looks similar to mine with the plants and such.
Anyway, welcome to the pond forum.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Agree muck will need taken out but you will have to do that slowly .I have all my water lines inside the pond and also use another pump for the clarifier .It needs to have the water running through it slower to be effective .I have a small pump that runs both of mine .

Ask a Question