Inherited a pond with new house - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I hope I’m in the right place? We moved to a new home in November and have inherited what looks like an established pond. We have no knowledge of pond keeping and no ‘instruction manual’ so literally have no idea what we should be doing, if anything? The previous owners said there is a Koi in the pond, there were 5 but the Herron had 4, so he doesn’t come up much!!! One end of the pond is probably 1m deep, sloping up to more shallow with rocks, which is very overgrown. I have cut back a lot of the brown (dead?) grass / reeds as it looked a mess. There was a water feature in the corner which had running water. Previous owners took this but the pipe still flows water if I flick a switch in the garage! I know that this is probably like asking for all the answers with limited knowledge BUT that really is where I’m starting because, I’m sure it’s good for wildlife so would rather keep than fill in or allow to become ‘unloved’ even more. Thanks in advance for any help and support. Mark

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

We love to help and will help you as much as we can. Post some pictures of your set up when you can.
Did they leave the pump? the filter? etc take pictures of any equipment you see.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
442E9BDB-59F9-4367-968E-950C08053C8E.jpeg
718CB440-143C-4C52-BCEA-9B4FB0C05D68.jpeg
E9222DC9-41AB-4548-BD22-81A515ACB874.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just took a few pics, hope these help? The black pipe on the edge sprays water in to the pond, like a hose, when I turn the power on. Apart from that, I have no idea what else is in the pond

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond! I would keep yanking some of the grass looking plant out. If the bottom of the pond has a lot of muck net some of it out, sort out the living critters. Leave some of the grass it is probably helping filter the water.

You said one koi still there. By the size I would not buy more koi once you learn your pond, it is a bit small, goldfish would be better. I have only shubunkins and a big pond, just don't want to mess with koi.

So water comes out with the power on, not turning on the water. So that means there is a pump somewhere. There might be a filter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have cut back a lot of the brown (dead?) grass / reeds as it looked a mess.
by cutting back, just cutting the growth off or yanking up roots? Make sure you yank up roots as it will just come back.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have only cut back the reeds, not yanked anything, yet!!! It looks as if the plants are in some sort of black plastic base? Should I just yank away?? What about the pump / filter? Try to find it?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes try and find a pump and any filter.

If it was my pond I would yank out root and all until there is a lot less of that plant. They will regrow with just cutting. Leave some because they do help with filtering the water. Then you can add back other pond plants, like lilies that bloom.
Sounds like they may have put them in a container if there is a black pot, base. Just don't use anything to cut unless you pull the roots up before cutting. You don't want to cut the liner, if the base is the liner.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have a yank the plant party. I aggressively yank overgrowing plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I will pull at some and see how I go. I was concerned about tearing liner etc but doesn’t sound like that’s an issue? I will try to locate the pump, I presume they need a clean or something? Will update when I’ve had another go

I’m in the uk by the way, don’t want to disrupt too much as I guess we may have frogspawn etc??

Reaction score
Some would say to clean it up. I would say drain the swamp and start over. You don't know what is buried in that grassy mess and you can't see any of the plumbing that may be laying on the bottom or for that matter coming out of the liner. Once cleaned up you can put in nice-looking plants and if there are any fish you can decide if you want to keep them or get something else.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow @mgmine that is certainly more extreme to just pulling a few roots up! If I drained it, what would I do with the fish? Is this even necessary??

Reaction score
If you have one or two nice fish then put them in a plastic tote or garbage can until you're done with the job. If you have a lot of fish give them away or sell them. It's a lot easier to start from scratch than to try and work around all the clutter or in your case the grass. The grass has no redeeming qualities and there is too much of it...way too much and it will just keep on growing. Water lilies would look much nicer even without any flowers on them. The only thing that you are saving by not draining it is the water, and who knows what the quality of the stagnant water is. I would guess that there is a lot of sediment on the bottom which is not helping any fish that may be in there. To drain it simply take the garden hose and put a weight on the end of it. Turn the water on until you see water coming out (the water in the pond will be moving around) then disconnect the hose, cover the end so that air doesn't get in and place it at a point in the yard lower than the pond. It will then siphon itself.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can do either a total drain and clean or a pull the plants see what you have and go from there.

Me I would just pull the plants, but I don't like harming the bugs, tads etc that might be living in it. Most likely, unless they sent roots through the liner, you should be able to pull without harming the liner.

Ask a Question