Injured/Handicapped Comet

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a comet, rather small at maybe 2 to 3 inches, that I noticed last summer having trouble swimming. In the fall I found it laying on the bottom and though it was dead but when I tried to net it, off it went to a different area of the pond. So it went thru the entire winter. All the other fish disappeared until the weather improved but every day that comet would be found in a different area mostly in the shallow end of the pond, 2' at most.

It's now warming and it lays on the bottom and struggles its way up to the surface during feeding. It was having such a hard time actually getting to the food, I started looking for it and, when it comes to the surface, throwing a bunch of food nearby. It is having more success eating before it runs out of strength and falls to the bottom.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We had a koi with a similar affliction. He couldn't just 'glide-swim' or float like the other fish, and had to struggle (swim like MAD) to move around & come to the surface to feed. When he stopped swimming he'd sink & just lay on the bottom. We also would try to help him by tossing extra kibbles to him during feeding time. When we first got him he was fine, but suddenly one day he was just like this. Not sure why? We could only guess some sort of swim bladder malfunction/problem. He did OK for several years, but we did lose him this Spring. 😟

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've seen this also and eventually they do just pass away. Can take a long time tho sometimes. Never seen one get better but then w/o knowing what it is how can you treat it?

Ask a Question