Intake bay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Has anyone ever built an intake bay for their pond, or know where I can find some information on them?

I am trying to find ideas on how to hide my hoses and pumps, and an intake bay was suggested by someone. If anyone has any other ideas they'd be greatly appreciated.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Intake bays are more aesthetically pleasing than a skimmer unit, but they perform the exact same task.....removing (filtering) large debris from a pond. This means that they will require the same level of maintenance: periodic emptying of the filter net/basket and cleaning the filter pad in a skimmer, and raking and vacuuming the gravel periodically in an intake bay. My experience is that it is a trade-off. Although an intake bay may blend in better with the overall appearance of a pond, they do not have the same ease of maintenance that a skimmer has. I would only recommend an intake bay in installations that have a very low level of external-sourced debris.

Ask a Question