Intro and help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I need thoughts. Having koi was always my dream, and i finally got to have them. I live in Anchorage, Alaska, and have a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tub with two butterfly koi and three shubunkins.

I moved spaces and they are currently in my garage. I have dreams of plant lights, back drop curtains and reading with my fish, but airflow is a concern, as there isnt much without opening the garage door.

Any thoughts from those who winter over in garages? They remain my dream, one i dint want to give up without trying to find solutions. Everyone else sees only problems and why i should get rid of them. Which would break my heart.

If anyone has solutions, please share them!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pics from my last space
IMG_1178.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpeg
    IMG_0373.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 12

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
birdywalks.gif
@Felicity
Oh my they are very pretty and I know you love them but they cannot live for long in that small of a container I don't believe. Rules for koi are for a lot more water for each one. Something like 500 gals or more for just one. Maybe, just maybe someone here can suggest a really great way to provide a miraculous filtering system but I am not sure. Can you not dig a big pond? I know it's super cold up there but w/a heating system of some type and a cover maybe it would work. I know a person who lives in Alberta, Canada where it gets super cold and she provides a plastic cover. She was a member on here but no longer is but there are still video's and instructions on here on how she does it. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-pond-runs-all-winter-zone-2-3.10570/
and:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/members/callingcolleen1.4209/#recent-content

She also has a youtube channel under the name Colleen Penny

Hoping for something to help you :)

Ask a Question