New user introduction, ramblings and pics!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all, I am from Southern Ontario, Canada, and am the owner of a 2 year old pond, approx 1/4 acre, 7 feet deep.
We wanted a pond for the aesthetics, wildlife and for swimming.
Had it dug in an area of our farm property that was overgrown, and was at a low section, where we have water sitting during the springtime.
I had concerns as to whether it would hold water without a liner, but thankfully we had plenty of clay in our soil, so seems to not be leaking, although, I had no idea how much evaporation would occur, and for the first year, I thought I did have a leak. I have since buried a dedicated water line, and have it on a timer and every night will run for 6 hours, which seems to be maintaining the water level.
I have an aerator running on a timer during the night, as well I use powdered pond bacteria regularly, and alge has been much less an issue this year.
Aquatic plants have gone wild, and I am a bit worried they will become a real nuisance. It seems to be mainly milfoil, and sago pondweed, along with some generous clumps of muskweed alge . I have used a bladed weedcutter that drags on the bottom, but it is a bit laborious collecting all the cuttings.
As for wildlife, I have a single 10 inch small mouth bass, along with numerous sunfish, rockbass and minnows/chubs from local streams, and they all have bred and there are many fry this year, as well as year olds from last year.
I also put about 50 large snails and crayfish from another local pond, all thriving.
I just added a painted turtle, and am hoping to get a few more.
The water clarity is good at about 4-5 feet visibility, and i have added a bit of blue dye, mostly for aesthetics, so the water isn't so yellowish. It's more a light greenish/blue, but not unatural, which I don't want. I have never tested the water parameters, although I know our well water is moderately hard, and high in iron content.
We have gone swimming many times, and it's great to have this oasis on our own property.

Anyway, that's my long winded introduction. Looking forward to learning more theses forums, and contributing when I can.

Thanks,
Quinn O.

Pics for fun.

Empty field of potential
C346D09D-7BE8-4F4E-94AE-042C1C93DCBC.jpeg

And so it begins
EB087DA9-3945-44E8-AD49-4C163DF10AAB.jpeg

Same vantage point
02F51119-E767-4CA3-8C7D-F72C572CEEAE.jpeg

Opposite vantage point, up on the berm
3537E94B-2D6E-4ABF-8EC6-D495B660605B.jpeg

floating island for plants and turtles
0048151F-B682-47B6-8425-2972D600624B.jpeg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Very nice big pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a beautiful setting!

I know our local lakes have issues with milfoil and the solution they employ is a band of teenagers in motorboats collecting it every day all summer long. So good luck with that one! It causes real problems for boaters if they don't manage it though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Beautiful pond! Augur Lake, in Keeseville, NY had big problems with milfoil so they introduced grass eating carp and I believe it is under control now (not sure since I moved from there five years ago....) You might look into that:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow wonderfully huge pond! Will bring you lots of joy and relaxation. I welcomed you in your other post but
SnailHello2.gif
again :happy:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Will over take your pond at least here in Connecticut usa . with any luck it's too cold up there for it to thrive ? I would do everything i could to get it out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It thrives in ponds and lakes in the midwest - it's a real nuisance plant. Hey! They should BAN IT! That would help! haha!

Ask a Question