Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shelley, Jun 13, 2014.

?

My question is this: since I have been spoiling my fish by feeding them peas, koi pellets, flakes a

Poll closed Jun 20, 2014.
  1. String Algae control

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fish waste

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shelley

JohnHuff Friends call me Dr. Sir John Huff

OK, let's fix this.
    1) Exactly how much food are you feeding? Cutting down on feeding will make a big difference.
    2) What kind of filter and pump do you have in your pond?

JohnHuff, Jun 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Shelley

Dave 54

HI from Plymouth Uk shelly and can we say what a lovely pond you have , is your pond in full sunlight during the day?
    When was the last time you cleaned the bottom of your pond of detritus , we have a bottom drain on our own pond so its not a bother for us but many ornamental ponds dont have this luxury and you must vacuum the pond bottom everyyear of the detritus that builds up from dying plnt matter leaves even fish muck.
    you have quite a nutriious soup if this isnt done wich would feed your algae .
    Maintenance of a pond and its filters are half the battle in your fight against algae, we are in full sunlight throughout the summer here in our back garden yet apart from a thin coating of algae on the bottom and sides of our pond we suffer no problems whatsover .

Dave

Dave 54, Jun 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Shelley

Shelley

Hello Dave!!

I am going to send to a very basic schematic of the layout and pumping system. It is very simple because it was originally designed as a water feature only and controlled with beach. :-/ image.jpg

Shelley, Jun 14, 2014
  4. Shelley

Shelley

Ok, thanks for the help. I am going to take pictures of my former feeding quantities. I always estimated.

Shelley, Jun 14, 2014
  5. Shelley

haver79

Welcome Shelly and yes ponding is addicting. Since putting in the pond last summer I spend the majority of my free time outside tinkering with the pond.
    Sometimes drives my hubby crazy!

haver79, Jun 14, 2014
  6. Shelley

Shelley

image.jpg image.jpg Ok, John here is the type and quantities of food, a schematic of pond, a picture of the pump. There is no filter as it was built ONLY built as a water feature.

Attached Files:

Shelley, Jun 14, 2014
  7. Shelley

- According to your first post, you have 12 fish. How big are those fish? The food, is that for each feeding, or for the whole day?
    - No matter what, let's cut down on that. I would start by cutting that down to 1/4 of that for the whole day.
    - How big is your pond? What are the dimensions?
    - What does that "valve to empty the pond" do?
    - Do you do anything to clean the water? Do you do any water changes? Do you have a water test kit?
    - What do you teach in college? Science discipline?

JohnHuff, Jun 14, 2014
  8. Shelley

Fishylove

No bio filter is one major problem.

Fishylove, Jun 14, 2014
    Shelley likes this.
  9. Shelley

Shelley

- According to your first post, you have 12 fish. How big are those fish?

I have three koi (different varieties). The biggest is approx 10", 7", 5", then I have five Sarasha Comets one 6", one 4.5', 3 at @ 3", one regular comet 4", three calico shubunkin the biggest is @9" and egg bound, one 7" and last 6"

That food left koi pellets, middle fish flakes, left three frozen sections of krill per day.

The food, is that for each feeding, or for the whole day?

Whole day, breakfast lunch and dinner<---even prisoners get that. ;-)

- No matter what, let's cut down on that. I would start by cutting that down to 1/4 of that for the whole day.

They are starting to HATE me already.

- How big is your pond? What are the dimensions?

The procenium (lower pond is 8', side to side along the back wall of the lower pond is @ 14-15', estimate of waterfall height is 18-20', at deepest the lower pond is 20-24"

- What does that "valve to empty the pond" do?

Opens the outflow pipe embeded in the left part of the stone wall approx a meter 1/2 from the pond.

- Do you do anything to clean the water? Do you do any water changes? Do you have a water test kit?

I add Aqua Life water cleaner (estimating gallons at 1500- probably a low estimate), and lBarley Extract, and aqua life complete each once per week, i have three bales of barley hay in the upper pond in three main areas of flow, i use Aqua Life Pond Ceaner Plus sludge and odor eliminator plus (powder) once every 2-3 weeks.

I also have about 12 large, supposedly algae eating, pond snails, one large supposedly algae eating bull frog tadpole and a volunteer Pickerale frog

I have taro, canna lillies, papyrus, aztec arrow and five large lillies, pond lettuce and hiacynths.

IT is full on WAR!!!!

- What do you teach in college? Science discipline? I am a classical flutist, I teach flute performance at a major University.

Shelley, Jun 14, 2014
    Fishylove likes this.
  10. Shelley

Shelley

Agreed this is my next step in the algae wars. IT is on!! Please give me advice on pumps and filters

Shelley, Jun 14, 2014
  11. Shelley

j.w I Love my Goldies

Ouch to say the least! Maybe you could rig up a long pole w/ the toilet brush on the end so you could try to stay on the outer edge of the pond or the drier rocks to keep from falling. Or just wear padding :D

j.w, Jun 14, 2014
    Fishylove and Shelley like this.
  12. Shelley

Shelley

Yes, I definitely need padding! Say does anyone wear knee pads?

Shelley, Jun 14, 2014
  13. Shelley

Shelley

Here is today's quickly 'harvested' crop from ONE day and only from the small upper pond. I pulled some off of the Barley hay bale. Disgusted!!

Attached Files:

Shelley, Jun 14, 2014
  14. Shelley

j.w I Love my Goldies

Not knee pads but I have one of those little mini gardening pads I lay on the pond edge rocks for my knees when I reach in to pull out lilies when grooming or when clearing the gunk of the pond spitters/bubblers etc. Knee pads would work tho, just don't have any.

j.w, Jun 14, 2014
  15. Shelley

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yucko on the algae but you are getting it out..............now the trick is to keep it at bay!

j.w, Jun 14, 2014
    JohnHuff likes this.
  16. Shelley

Shelley

I have attached a photo of just a few of my pond battle scars from just last week. I decided to spare you all from the worst one on me bum.

Attached Files:

Shelley, Jun 14, 2014
  17. Shelley

Okaaay.
    First things first, it might be a good idea to hold your camera the right side up when taking pics. Or you can use a program such as Microsoft Paint or any other program to rotate your pics before posting. It's giving me torticollis :) Secondly, on a totally unrelated note, what does your husband think about you taking pics of your legs and showing them to strangers on the internet (though I think we're all going to be much more intimate before this is over).

JohnHuff, Jun 14, 2014
  18. Shelley

Second of all, let's estimate the volume of your pond.
    Let's say your pond is a 1/2 circle. The radius would be 4ft.
    The surface area of this semi-circle would be (πr²)/2 or (π4²)/2.
    That comes to 25ft².
    The depth is 2ft approx.
    The volume in ft³ = 25 x 2 = 50ft³.
    Using a conversion app, 50ft³ = 374g.
    That seems very small to me. Can anyone check this?

Though, I think it is probably correct since my pond is about 7ft plus x 7ft x 2ft and comes to about 800g.

JohnHuff, Jun 14, 2014
  19. Shelley

Next, food and fish.
    You've actually got quite a lot of fish for a pond that size. I think we all overestimated the size of your pond based on the pics. The amount of water flowing down from the waterfall and pipes will add a bit of volume, but not much. You can probably keep all that fish, but don't add anymore.

Food. The pond is essentially a closed system. Any food you add to it will increase the amount of organic matter in it. And that is a lot of food you're adding per day. My pond is about double your size. I don't think I add more than 1/2 the amount of your koi pellets per day. So definitely, cut your food down to about 1/4 of what you're doing now. You can go down by 1/2, then 1/3. Your fish won't hate you. Some of us don't even add food. The fish can survive off creatures and vegetation in the pond.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    JohnHuff, Jun 14, 2014
  20. Shelley

Next. When you open that valve, what comes out? Is it sludge, algae or clear water? That tells me whether it's a bottom drain type valve or just a water drain.

All the additives you add? 99% of us don't use that. In fact, stop using the barley. It doesn't do anything and probably adds decomposing matter to the pond. The only thing I would keep using is the water cleaner if it's a dechlorinator, something that neutralizes the chlorine in your tap water.

How often do you do water changes? And you should probably get a water test kit. Any fish store or Petco will have one.

Next, pipes that go up to the waterfall. Is there any box there or how does the water get to the waterfall?

I wouldn't worry too much about a biofilter right now. Your waterfall is acting as your biofilter and your water lettuce and water hyacinths will do a great job of detoxing your pond.

A short lesson. Fish eat. Fish poops toxins. Toxins are neutralized by bacteria. This bacteria occurs naturally. You need to bring the toxins and oxygen to the bacteria for it to work on the toxins. A biofilter is simply anything with a lot of surface area that exposes bacteria to flowing water and oxygen. And the waterfall is that thing. Bacteria already lives on the surface of the rocks on the waterfall.

I created one of my first biofilters by lining the surface of the waterfall rocks with hundreds of pebbles and stones. The pebbles and stones increased the surface area of that flat surface so that more bacteria could live on it. You could do the same.

JohnHuff, Jun 14, 2014
    Fishylove likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question