Introduction

Reaction score
My name is Sandra. I have lots of interests but my favorite topic is my garden and koi pond. I will post pictures when I have more time. I have a fairly large pond that is about 4 years old now. The pond is 16' long, 9' across and 4' deep. I dug it myself and put it together. I did the initial thing that most beginners do and added far too many 2-3 inch koi . O'kay,(head hung shuffling feet) 23 to be exact. Lots of initial spikes in balance of immature pond but unbelievably I did not lose but one fish the first year. The second year a couple of racoons got about 12 of the fish and now I have about 12 left. All of which are over 12inches. I have a pressure flow laguna external bio filter with UV 3200 with submersable pump in one end and a smaller system in the other end. I suspect that I still have too many fish as my ammonia levels are high right now. I'm thinking that with the size of the fish I have, 6 might be better. I have lots of plants inside the pond at the edges and sunlight about 2-3 hours a day. No problem with string algae or blanket weed and the water is clear but I do get leaves and debri from a neighbors nasty privet tree..Yuk! Could the rise in ammonia levels be due more to that than the fish waste? I clean the foam filters once a week but never touch the bio media. Is there a good vacuum system for sucking up the muck and not disturbing the biology of my pond. I hate adding any chemicals as this seems to just disturb the natural ecology. Fish are thriving, never flash and seem very healthy and active. Should I reduce the amount of fish? I'll look at some threads for answers...

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I'd check out the DIY section, and consider adding to your bio filtration. Giving away a fish or two would be the fastest way to drop ammonia, though.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That size pond is about 4,000 gallons. You should not have any problem. I have more than you in about 1,800 gallons right now and my water is perfect.
You may have too much muck built up in the bottom. I would check that and for any dead fish. Another is food, How often are you feeding them. Mine only get fed once a day. Sometimes we treat them with rice, veggies or fruit.
I put in 1 handfull of koi pellets for each 3 Koi, thats it.
Mine are all healthy, active and producing.
Do a water change and vacuum the bottom.

Reaction score
Thanks Dr.Dave, I appreciate the comment...I would hate to give away any fish. They're like my kids. I feed them two times a day and I think I will cut back to once. I think it's more the debri on the pond bottom. I did a partial water change yesterday and that helped. The water is clear but has a brown tint to it which I think comes from the bottom muck. Any recommendations on a good vacuum?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I use a big net to get out the big stuff. Then I have a 3200GPH submersible that catches the small stuff that is in solution and trap it in a fines filter. You can make one easily out of a clothes basket and some quilting material.
The brown tint is from leaves and stuff in the muck.
Good circulation is key to preventing this in the first place.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bighungryfish said:
Thanks Dr.Dave, I appreciate the comment...I would hate to give away any fish. They're like my kids. I feed them two times a day and I think I will cut back to once. I think it's more the debri on the pond bottom. I did a partial water change yesterday and that helped. The water is clear but has a brown tint to it which I think comes from the bottom muck. Any recommendations on a good vacuum?

If you have a shop vacuum they work well use the sears drain attachment for easy emptying.

Ask a Question