Introductory "behind the scenes" story on your Pond's ecosystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Its what the pond can provide for the koi, not how many there will be. There would only be enough an amont of koi. There wouldnt be more fish than water like yall want. The biosystem will provide

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Mario, my previous posts have already answered you and I can see it just flat out doesn't matter to you.

I wonder if you truly understand how those "japanese bloodline" koi you got were actually raised.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
mariobrothersleeve said:
Its what the pond can provide for the koi, not how many there will be. There would only be enough an amont of koi. There wouldnt be more fish than water like yall want. The biosystem will provide
Sorry, Nature is not that gracious.

Reaction score
No your post said nothing about what "creatures" they were and you do have all the answers! Dude that koi is almost as old as you! Im sure u have the answer, im sure you were on that trip with,my parents come on now you getting mad and trying to make fun natural selection puts a smile on my face

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Apparently, I'm not the one here claiming to have all the answers.

Please, educate us.

Reaction score
You are posting big topic like this with a 435g pond im interested. It like a fiat pulling a 80000lbs big rig. You think there wouldnt be koi? 18000g would work im not God, but the koi lived for millions of years and some would survive. Nature is kind, listen to it. We all think were God when creating these ponds,tanks,river features. Algae blooms are natural and everyone is out there to dispose of it. Its a cycle it comes and goes. Its all part of the cycle, the big picture. You ever leave it go? What was your end result? These are things you dont know because you are right there to destroy it. What im trying to show you is there are different ways if you open your narrow opened eyes. Are your water completey clear in texas? They are not here in wisconsin. Some days long ago i would get so mad because i couldnt see my best friend, and i would kill all the algae all the fun out of his true environment just to see him. I left it go since my injury in 05 surving my county in the United Sates Marine Corps. I go out side and see turtles there that i never put there. Where did they come from? Ive got crawl dads you call i call them pains in my ass when they pinch me, and then i say, i did enough for today. Ive got plant life i cant explain, or what types of microalgae that it is. All in all, it has taken care of itself and new day picture perfect ponds are what i see as beginner mistakes

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice story. :)

I hope your pond continues to do well. You are fortunate to have proper water that is not prone to pH crashes that kills aquatic life, which does occur naturally especially in areas which receives very heavy rains. Rain and other decomposing biological processes reducing the pH is why that "18,000 gal pond with two koi and no human intervention" would have zero fish after a few years. There's a huge difference between a dinky 18,000 gallon pond and a Lake.

I am quite well aware of there being different ways to ponding. I think you're the one that needs to open your eyes and start looking at some of these quite beautiful massive, very well stocked, ponds full of "japanese bloodline" koi and these definitely are "picture perfect ponds". These folk also act as physicians for their fish if the fish ever becomes ill.

"picture perfect ponds" only become mistakes when the owners do not know what to do, when the owner do not understand the pond biology, fish physiology, and water chemistry, and when the owner's follow terrible advice that does not match their pond.

Just got comets in my pond, which is going to be rebuilt to be a noticeably overstocked koi pond which will feed an aquaponic garden. Nature treats my comets no different than how other aquatic life is treated.

Reaction score
Thanks for the entertainment guys, I always get a kick out of just how controversial a subject ponding can be. Sometimes it can make topics like religion and politics seem pretty tame.

Oh and BTW when you address me, refer to me as Mr. Mucky, not Mucky, Muck, or Muckster.

Reaction score
Its not entertainment, it about taking out of it what works for you. What is the life on ponds? Everyone jumps into and becomes a pro and uses all this technology to have answers at their finger tips. That wasnt an option when i started this life style. Everyone comes into tje hobby and knows everthing about it and repost information right off of google,amazing. The average ponder is 5yrs or so before they drag up do to cost, inexperience, lack of comitment, or wrong location. I believe farmer dan, it must be hard to overstock, not have the ideal weather for him, that i am lucky for. What happens to all these fish? Its a fish right? Bad attitude, their death is your learning curve? I never have to worry about supply of fish, thats for sure. They come in by the dozens it feels like at times. I always have plenty of fish for the next part timer to try out and let them get their feet wet. I am more of the cherish person and not of the feet wet person.

Reaction score
I'm having a problem following your line of though. In simple, more direct, terms, could you spell out what your beefs is?
Something about "what works for you", after that you lost me. Is the beef with Charles?, or with new ponders in general? I'm not quite getting it. I'd be happy to reply, but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Reaction score
it is not about beef. its about the love for the hobby and the commitment i have for the fish. it is the work that is involved with ponds that people tend to shy away from after while. life happens for humans and the fish suffer for it. works for me.... its about the gravel, rocks, sand. Why would you overstock? is it because you love the culture and belief behind the ponds or just because you can shove as many fish in to one area? Charles has his points, and i will address him accordingly, when having a gravel underlayment, ie rocks, gravel, sand muck if you will will build up. im not saying you dont have to clean it, just in small amounts not the hole thing at one time. Do fish and turtles and snail disturb the underlayment? yes they do but in small amounts. small amounts of bacteria will be released in to the water column, and that is what the filter is for. Small amounts of everything is great. Large amounts are not so good just as everything in life. Changing large amounts of water 35% or more is dagerous, you can find that on the internet. Large amounts of fish require you to be the link completely in the nitrogen cycle. With large amounts of fish requires large amounts of additives, water changes, and time. What ive seen with this is the people tend to give up. It turns from a labor of love to work. what happens to the fish? ill take pictures of all the left over fish in my pond from others who gave up because it was to much for them to handle. this is what i mean on endless supply of fish. Treating every aspect of nature, I AM GOD ALMIGHTLY, is to much work. Living in wisconsin, i can have nature work with me, as for charles it works against him. Now for you, not addressing my name correctly is rude and i will treat you the same. You have no idea why i picked this name for myself and will never understand. For you to slander it and to repost on it just shows me complete loss of respect. no beef just fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question