Iron questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey everyone, so in New Mexico Iron Chlorosis is really common in plants due to our high PH, alkaline soil, and it looks like it's starting to hit my bog plants. For in ground plants the recommendation is iron chelated with EDDHA because it works with high alkalinity. Thoughts on adding something like that to the pond? Or since the pond is only about a month old just wait and see if things balance out? I am starting to get some string algae, and I'd rather my bog plants thrive and outcompete the algae. Any suggestions on dosing? I have some of this for the garden, should I try it? https://www.fertilome.com/product/chelated-iron-eddha-6-water-soluble-1-lb

Current test results are: PH about 8, ammonia, nitrates at or near 0, and phosphates at about .5ppm due to being present in the water supply.

Edit: I'm using well water from a shallow agricultural well for the pond which is why I think issues affecting the soil would also affect the pond.

IMG_0908.jpeg

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is the photo your bog? Wondering if the plants in gravel that is dry has something to do with it. I would wait and give things some time to balance out. Maybe raise the bog level water so the gravel isn't getting hot form the sun and add more plants. The soil conditions in your area shouldn't affect the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is the photo your bog? Wondering if the plants in gravel that is dry has something to do with it. I would wait and give things some time to balance out. Maybe raise the bog level water so the gravel isn't getting hot form the sun and add more plants. The soil conditions in your area shouldn't affect the bog.

Thanks @mrsclem, I just edited to the post to note that I'm using well water, which is why I think prevailing soil conditions affect the pond. the rocks are also local sandstone. Straight out of the well the PH is about 7.5.

As to the bog water level, I see some people recommend no visible water, and others a thin layer of water on top of the bog, so I've done both, some plants in water, some in higher gravel. Definitely open to suggestions on this.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks @mrsclem, I just edited to the post to note that I'm using well water, which is why I think prevailing soil conditions affect the pond. the rocks are also local sandstone. Straight out of the well the PH is about 7.5.

As to the bog water level, I see some people recommend no visible water, and others a thin layer of water on top of the bog, so I've done both, some plants in water, some in higher gravel. Definitely open to suggestions on this.
I saw that you were in New Mexico. If the bog is in full sun, that gravel will get very hot.

Ask a Question