Is it okay to use a 8,000 gallon filter in a 30,000 gallon pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a waterfall filter (fed by a pump from a skimmer), a bog-type gravel filter and a canister filter with UV (fed by a pump from a retro-added bottom drain). Aeration too. None of them would be sufficient by themselves for my 15000 gallon pond. But all together, plus plants, the water is clear.

If what you are able to add right now is not sufficient by itself, it can still be a step on the way to a complete system.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I dumped 3 k on aquablocks so you figure if they need 5 times that plus snorkel and centipedes and all the rock it adds up quick

We were lucky - we bought aquablox before the price doubled. But ours would have been $2500 at today's prices for a much smaller pond. So that price doesn't seem all that far off, although I do question how well a bog would work to clear a mud bottom pond. You can't really remove the mud, so it would likely be constantly stirred up.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Our dam is clear until the frogs move in as the weather gets warmer and rummage for food and breed then the taddies muck it up more. Koi are even better at ripping up the bottom. No amount of filtration will stop that I feel. If you'd like to see your Koi I'd build a pond for them and keep the pond you have as a wildlife pond. Your pond isn't green or unhealthy looking, it's just stirred up.

Ask a Question